Opening VI properties causes LV to hang

pallen

This is a strange one, and of course it comes at the worst possible time.

I have a brand new installation of LV 7.1 on a brand new Dell Precision 380. Everything seemed fine on Friday. But this morning when I attempt to open a VIs properties, LabView completely hangs. The process cannot be stopped and the computer must be rebooted.

I've tried reinstalling LabView. I've tried un-installing, then reinstalling. So far nothing has changed.

Even if I open up a blank VI and try to open it's properties LV hangs.

I'm not sure what else is broken. But I'm sure there's got to be other problems as well. It's looking like I'm going to have to format the machine and reinstall everything. I'm hoping for a way around this.

Does seem strange.

Unless you can find an alternative, you could try the following:

Make a bakup of your system registry

Open MAX and export your HW configuration

Uninstall all NI SW

Reboot

Delete the National Instruments folder in Program Files - make sure you backup any configuration files

Reboot for good measure

Run regedit and search for "National Instruments"

Delete the appropriate registry entries.

Reboot and try to install LV again.

I'd recommend this as a last resort before formatting - I've done this on previous occassions with limited success. Searching through the system registry takes some time and I've usually taken educated guesses as to which keys to delete.

You could try using a registry cleaning tool - some may be reference on the NI support site

Good luck