automatic error handling

i2dx

Hi Folks,

I can't get rid of the error messages, generated by the automatic error handling. I have a "Clear Errors" VI, which has an "error in" Input, an "error out" Output and a "no error out" where - you guess right - no error comes out. I use this VI to clear the error wire, but "see" the error anyhow.

post-885-1161015885.png?width=400

If I don't connect the error out Output, I get one of these automaic error dialoges, which I don't want to have, because I'd like to "silently suppress errors" with this VI. I thought I could turn of automatic error handling for the VI with the VI properties. But even with disabled "Enable automatic error handling" I get the error dialog.

post-885-1161016114.png?width=400

What can I do to get rid of the error dialoges?

thank you in advance and cheers :beer:

CB

Download File:post-885-1161016140.zip

If I don't connect the error out Output, I get one of these automaic error dialoges, which I don't want to have, because I'd like to "silently suppress errors" with this VI. I thought I could turn of automatic error handling for the VI with the VI properties. But even with disabled "Enable automatic error handling" I get the error dialog.

If I'm understnading you correctly, you've disabled automatic error handling in the VI you attached - what you need to do is disable it in the VI that calls that VI - that's where the errors are handled since it realises an error is coming out of your subVI and isn't connect to anything - it's only once it gets out of the subVI and is properated up to the calling VI does it realise it's not being handled and pops up the dialog.

If I'm understnading you correctly, you've disabled automatic error handling in the VI you attached - what you need to do is disable it in the VI that calls that VI - that's where the errors are handled since it realises an error is coming out of your subVI and isn't connect to anything - it's only once it gets out of the subVI and is properated up to the calling VI does it realise it's not being handled and pops up the dialog.

I opened up the VI and took a look. Christopher is correct. The subVI's configuration doesn't matter. It's the caller VI that has to be configured to not do automatic error handling. You have a subVI that is returning an error, and that error is not handled. You can either turn off auto error handling in the caller or handle the error -- wiring the output terminal to anything is sufficient, as shown:

post-5877-1161022159.png?width=400

• 4 weeks later...
I have made some simple program to disapble automatic error handling. If you need it you can use it.

Mmmm - this VI has potential. It could be useful as a part of a tool that does a whole bunch of stuff to your VIs before you build, archive, etc. Perhaps as a component of the OpenG builder?

Mmmm - this VI has potential. It could be useful as a part of a tool that does a whole bunch of stuff to your VIs before you build, archive, etc. Perhaps as a component of the OpenG builder?

hey, my frontpanel (<CR>!) tool does the same and more!

and you did not mention it in a word <sniff> :(

.oO(but I guess, I will survive that ;) )

C'mon idx2 - you know I can't play favorites ;)

okok, I just wanted to play the prima donna ;) :beer:

and as I write this, it comes to my mind, that I could make the frontpanel tool even more generic.

Maybe I could even convice NI to add that functionality to the application builder?

okok, I just wanted to play the prima donna ;) :beer:

and as I write this, it comes to my mind, that I could make the frontpanel tool even more generic.

Maybe I could even convice NI to add that functionality to the application builder?

That's what I'm talkin' about - a really generic util that could accept plug-ins. I wouldn't want it added to the app builder, but I'd like a way to call whatever I wanted from the app builder instead...

That's what I'm talkin' about - a really generic util that could accept plug-ins. I wouldn't want it added to the app builder, but I'd like a way to call whatever I wanted from the app builder instead...

hmm ... creating plugins would be easy, thanks to VI Server and SubPanels. Let's start a Project and a new thread?