Read Key and Write Key not working as expected with paths on RT

eaolson

I posted this over at the NI forums, but thought I would bring it up here as well.

The configuration file VIs Read Key (Path) and Write Key (Path) don't seem to work as expected (at least not as I was expecting them to) on an RT target.

When working on my WinXP PC with these two VIs, paths are translated to what looks like is supposed to be a device-independent format before being written to disk. The path C:\dir\file.txt becomes /C/dir/file.txt when writing and vice versa when reading. On my RT target, however, that same path is written to disk as C:\dir\file.txt, unchanged from the native format.

The translaton of a native path to and from the device-independent format appears to be the responsibility of Specific Path to Common Path and Common Path to Specific Path. These both use the App.TargetOS property to determine the operating system. In the case structure for these two VIs, however, there is no case for PharLap or RTX. (My RT hardware is runnng PharLap; I don't know enough about RTX to comment.) This means that the results of String to Path or Path to String are used without translating between the device-independent format to the native path format.

This isn't a problem if you create a configuration file on one machine and use it on that same machine. I noticed this only when tranferring a config file from my PC to the RT target, where the target would not open the file paths it loaded from the configuration file.

This occurs on 7.1.1 and 8.0. I don't have 8.20 to see if happens there, too. It also affects the OpenG variant configuration functions, becuase they eventuall call the LabView configuration VIs.