Serial Communication, VISA

Maa-LeeN

hye everybody.

i am doing a serial communication programe using Labview 8 but i cannot get any response. The instrument that im currently used is Lakeshore Temperatuere Controller Model 321 that use RS232.

everytime i send the command, *IDN? in the labview programme, it will said the the VISA read has an error, VISA Read Error but i cannot identify what is the error.

ive check using the MAX and the device is working properly.

someone plss help me.

It is urgent. tq

tq for the reply.

ill try again checking using MAX and setting my parameters correctly.

hope i can get it dis time.

thanx.

As crelf is saying it is almost impossible to give you any help from the information you have given.

You could, however, try to use some of the examples that ship with LabVIEW to perform simple serial communication.

If MAX is able to read back the *IDN? response, so should LabVIEW.

/J

Ive checked using MAX. when i used the visa write to identify the instrument, the return count value is 6.

then i try to check the read buffer but the error ios VI_ERROR_TMO: Timeout expried before operation completed.

so,what can i do to overcome that problem?

can anyone gimme any suggestions?

thanx in advance.

tq for the reply.

ill try again checking using MAX and setting my parameters correctly.

hope i can get it dis time.

thanx.

Ive checked using MAX. when i used the visa write to identify the instrument, the return count value is 6.

then i try to check the read buffer but the error ios VI_ERROR_TMO: Timeout expried before operation completed.

so,what can i do to overcome that problem?

can anyone gimme any suggestions?

thanx in advance.

Your best bet is to show some screen shots of the error and post your code here. If you have a screen shot of what you have in MAX that you call a "return count value of 6" that could help as well. What you have given for information is simply not enough to determine your problem - it could be dozens of possibilities as far as I can see, because so far I've seen virtually nothing.

-Pete Liiva

...so,what can i do to overcome that problem?

As Pete said, you wont get a definite answer unless you give us more information.

Upload a screen shot, showing both the write and the read TAB of MAX.

Don't bother with LabVIEW until you have the *IDN? command working from MAX.

I do think that this is a setup mismatch, as I would expect more than 6 byte in return for the *IDN? command.

/J

PS. its LabVIEW not labview (for you crelf :D )