Patenting software & computer systems internationally

I assume that quite many of you LAVA forum members have been somehow acquainted with patenting related issues. I'm not totally new to the field either. Previously I however worked for a large corporation which had its own patenting policy and I didn't really have much part in what happened to the applications after I worked with one of the patent offices named by our company.

Now I'm in a new position, I've to find out how to protect inventions we have made. I have an experience that patent offices are really not equal in their competence and in the quality of the applications they write. Writing the application by oneself is really not that difficult but there are all those little things you should really be aware of to guarantee as good a protection as possible.

First I was wondering in which countries should one apply a patent for an invention. An innovation officer at our university really couldn't help in this issue at all. Many companies seem to apply for a patent in U.S., Europe, Japan and Canada. I was wondering if this is really enough as it seems that for example China and India are really large markets in the next 20 years the patent will be valid.

Second I was wondering what would be the best way to apply international patents. One can apply via World Patent Office or via European Patent Office or directly via national patent offices. The process seems quite laborous especially when the patent is applied in every country separately. Does anybody have experience and recommendations on this field.

Third if you guys have good experience on good patent offices, well almost anywhere, I appreciate your recommendations. The office should have special skills in patenting software and computer system innovations. The reason I ask this is that I'm not really that trusting in connections local patent companies have to other international patent companies. It may be benefitial to connect the companies directly, get better application and save money.