Wanted: 360 degree multiturn Guage-like indicator

Kevin P

Ok, I've hunted through the numeric palettes, the ni forums, and the web at large. I tried looking into the picture controls a little, and they don't hold any obvious promise either. I can't seem to find what I'm after. :headbang: Here's what I want:

I would like something like a round numeric guage with a needle that can display continuous rotation. Continuous is a word which here means, "without a sudden jump across the gap from max back to min." Preferably a control that allows me to plot 2 (or more) needles simultaneously.

Application need: an end-of-line test fixture to be loaned to a supplier. I'll be measuring two encoder axes that rotate at different speeds. I'd simply like a nice rotating needle to indicate the current rotational position. An operator can very easily see whether or not it's spinning.

Bonus points if it can internally handle the modulus-360 degree stuff while maintaining a total rev count. I can handle those myself easily enough, but if someone's already built up an XControl for this sort of thing, well, I wouldn't refuse it. I haven't considered making my own XControl yet because I don't have an appropriate graphic indicator to start from.

I can't help but think this kind of thing has been wanted and implemented before. I'll be embarassed :unsure: but nevertheless grateful :worship: if it turns out to be right under my nose...

-Kevin P.

I would like something like a round numeric guage with a needle that can display continuous rotation. Continuous is a word which here means, "without a sudden jump across the gap from max back to min." Preferably a control that allows me to plot 2 (or more) needles simultaneously.

Use a standard circular guage.

With the arrow tool selected, move the cursor onto the max tick mark. It should change icons to a little rotate-looking thing. Click and drag across the gap. That will remove the gap.

As for the second needle, just right click and choose Add needle. The needle colors can be modified with a RightClick > Properties.

Download File:post-4344-1165602964.vi

Kevin,

It's possible to "edit" the scale on a gauge to make the gap between min and max 0 pixels. Just hold the mouse over the min or max tick mark, and the cursor should change to a semi-circular shape. Click and drag, and you can drag min and max together. I've attached an example.

Jaegen

EDIT: Looks like Gary beat me by 1 minute :laugh:

Download File:post-932-1165602607.vi

XControl and Demo inside the LLB.

If you need to change the colors or general appearance, edit the facade vi.

Hey LV Punk, Nifty XControl !!

Since you said to modify, I did, but only slightly. This version handles more than 2 pointers. The demo now has 5 arrays and pointers, but I think you could add more if you modified to move the Angle & Revs indicators to the right slightly.

This version is in LabVIEW 8.2

(or I will attach, as soon as I figure out how to attach VIs in this new editor interface, Hey Mike, what gives?)

(Hmmm, I'm going to assume that the "Insert Special Item" menu is how we do this now, but it is inactive)

...I will attach, as soon as I figure out how to attach VIs in this new editor interface, Hey Mike, what gives?

I think it has something to do with java downloading and cookies. I had the same problem when I tried to post the control. I went home and logged into lavag.org; my hard drive thrashed a bit and the file attachments dialog was available. I then came to work in the morning and cleared my cookies and cache and the file attachments was available at work too. This is just my observation. I'm sure Mike has been tweaking the new installation while we've been trying to learn this new stuff...

I think it has something to do with java downloading and cookies. .... I went home and ... the file attachments dialog was available. ... to work ... cleared my cookies and cache and the file attachments was available at work too.

Seems to be the same here. I'll try the other computer later today.