Need the FASTEST RT Platform

tomwittmann

After years of running a multiple 10khz control loop RT application on a 2.4ghz P4 we seem to be getting -10845 AI single scan buffer overflow errors for the first time as we add code complexity. (PCI-6071e)

What is the FASTEST RT platform? Core Duo? P4m?

I am not sure what new cpu features the RT OS can really take advantage of. Any advice?

BTW we are stuck with traditional NI-DAQ short of a major re-write of a very complex application.

Thanks in advance

After years of running a multiple 10khz control loop RT application on a 2.4ghz P4 we seem to be getting -10845 AI single scan buffer overflow errors for the first time as we add code complexity. (PCI-6071e)

What is the FASTEST RT platform? Core Duo? P4m?

I am not sure what new cpu features the RT OS can really take advantage of. Any advice?

BTW we are stuck with traditional NI-DAQ short of a major re-write of a very complex application.

Thanks in advance

Hi Tom,

Core Duo would probably be a better bet. It is based on the Pentium M processor that has better performance at lower clock rates due to larger on-chip cache. The Core Duo PXI controller doesn't come with RT (yet), since RT doesn't suppose multi-core (yet). You might even look at some of the AMD processor-based desktops to convert to an RT platform. I think the fastest PXI RT controller is the PXI 8196 (2 Gig Pentium M).

But Processor aside, you could probably get better performance by replacing traditional DAQ with DAQmx. The new architecture is multi-threaded, and non-blocking. I am sure you would see enough performance improvement to leave your current hardware platform alone.

Neville.