Data acquisition from Agilent 34970A via USB

Hello,

I am trying to acquire temperature measurement through a 4-W RTD with Agilent 34970A.

I want to get this measurements into LV8.2. I have installed the LV-drivers that comes with

the Aqilent DAQ-unit, but I can't get any of the examples to work. I have installes the NI-VISA

4.0 drivers and I find the VISA resource name ('ASRL8::INSTR') in my controller.

My Agilent 34970A is connected to my computer with an RS-232 through a USB2COM device (MosChip).

I've tried to run the VIs in the example, but no data appears...help :\

mvh

Arild (.no)

Hello,

I am trying to acquire temperature measurement through a 4-W RTD with Agilent 34970A.

I want to get this measurements into LV8.2. I have installed the LV-drivers that comes with

the Aqilent DAQ-unit, but I can't get any of the examples to work. I have installes the NI-VISA

4.0 drivers and I find the VISA resource name ('ASRL8::INSTR') in my controller.

My Agilent 34970A is connected to my computer with an RS-232 through a USB2COM device (MosChip).

I've tried to run the VIs in the example, but no data appears...help :\

mvh

Arild (.no)

Check the interface configuration of the 34970A!

as far as I know, GPIB is the default setting for this device, so you have to switch to RS232 and check the communication settings (Baud Rate, Start Bit, Stop bit, Handshaking, etc ...)

The communication is plain ASCII, maybe you want to turn of the termination char? The device should respond to a IDN? query with the device ID - you can check that with a terminal programm. If you get a response the RS232 communication works properly.

good luck :)

• 2 weeks later...
Check the interface configuration of the 34970A!

as far as I know, GPIB is the default setting for this device, so you have to switch to RS232 and check the communication settings (Baud Rate, Start Bit, Stop bit, Handshaking, etc ...)

The communication is plain ASCII, maybe you want to turn of the termination char? The device should respond to a IDN? query with the device ID - you can check that with a terminal programm. If you get a response the RS232 communication works properly.

good luck :)

Thank you for Your answer!

I use a nullmodem cable, and I get response on the *IDN? query.

I use the HP34970A sample read thermocouple temp.vi.

First i go the errormessage 225 on the Agilent instrument.

225: Settings conflict: DMM disabled or missing

This command is valid only when the internal DMM is installed and

enabled.

Should the internal DMM of the instrument be turned on?

I tried to turn it on and i got error 305: Not able to perform requested operation

The requested operation is not valid for the specified channel. You may

have tried to a configure a channel for current measurements (valid

only on channels 21 and 22 on the 34901A module). Or you may have

tried to configure scaling on a module that does not connect to the

internal DMM.

I am trying (at first) to read temperature throug a 4W RTD, and I configure channel

101 (who correctly pairs with n+10=111).

I use 19200 baud, 8-bit, no parity for the COM settings.

-A