LabVIEW 8.20 & Windows 2003 Server + Terminal Services

Hi,

I'd like to run LabVIEW 8.20 on Windows 2003 server with Terminal Services so that multiple users could simultaneously log on to the same server and use Labview Development Environment interactively over a remote connection to run VIs. The idea is that the server would have a database locally and LabVIEW VIs would interact with the database. Now that the DB and the VIs run on the same physical server, we could achive the best possible disk performance. DB performance is the bottleneck and we would like to overcome it.

Now I'd like to know purely from technical point of view if it is possible to run multiple instances of LV devel environment on W2003 server without problems. I know it's not supported but it may still work. I have already discussed with local NI about the licensing issue and they have no problems with us testing it. However I'd like to ask you folks before I go and buy Windows server licenses and set-up the server.

Hi Jimi

It is possible. We experimented on a WTS and it worked but only 2 people at the time wanted this and after a few weeks it was not used for over a year so we skipped it. Another reason is licensing but that could be overcome with a concurrent licensing scheme.

So yes it is possible but you may need some help with the administration and of course no IOcards!

Now I'd like to know purely from technical point of view if it is possible to run multiple instances of LV devel environment on W2003 server without problems. I know it's not supported but it may still work. I have already discussed with local NI about the licensing issue and they have no problems with us testing it. However I'd like to ask you folks before I go and buy Windows server licenses and set-up the server.

We have used Terminal Server and LabVIEW 7.1.1 and LV8 with no problem.

Just a suggestion;

1. create a separate labview.ini file for each user (store in user data)

2. each user should also create a shortcut to LabVIEW, e.g. on the desktop.

3. edit the shortcut to make LabVIEW launch with a user specific ini file (see below)

If you don't do this, all users will share the same labview.ini file, and therefore all settings.

/J

From info-labview:

>Create a new shortcut on your desktop that points to the labview executable.

>Once created, right click on the new shortcut and select properties.

>In the text box labeled "target" will be the full path to the labview

>executable.

> example - "C:\program files\national instruments\labview\labview.ex"

>At the end of the entry place the path to your new ini file.

> example - "C:\program files\national instruments\labview\labview.ex"

>-pref "C:\my preferences\\labview\labview.ini"

>Note that "" must be used if your paths have spaces. Also, the entry '-pref'

>must have a space before and after.