PXI System Default Device Names

Jeff Plotzke

I have an RT PXI system which has 8 cards in it. When I look in MAX after it gives default names to all the cards, it seems to randomize if it gives a "Dev x" label or a "PXISlot x" label to a device. Does anyone know how it chooses this? Sometimes, the PXISlot x doesn't always line up with what slot the card is actually in.

For example, I have these cards in my system:

Slot 1: 8196 Controller

Slot 2: 6704 AO

Slot 3: 6515 DIO

Slot 4: 6238 M-Series DAQ

Slot 5: 6225 M-Series DAQ

Slot 6: 6225 M-Series DAQ

Slot 7: 6225 M-Series DAQ

Slot 8: 6220 M-Series DAQ

Attached, you can see MAX's default names. (Yes, somehow it found 2 6238 cards when I only have one)

Thanks for any help you can give!

~Jeff

post-4078-1169501041.jpg?width=400

Right click-> rename?

Then about the missing and double items.... Maybe a refresh (F5) will help.

Or removing one (it will still show up in MAX but greyed out), maybe the correct one will show up.

Also make sure the card is in the slot it tells it is (in the properties or something)

Ton

Attached, you can see MAX's default names. (Yes, somehow it found 2 6238 cards when I only have one)

I've seen this happen as well before with a NI-4461 Audio Analyzer Card. I believe it had to do with multiple places I had inserted the Card. I started with the Card in slot 4 and it was auto named "PXISlot 4". I then moved around my cards and saw one card Named PXISlot 4 (which was actually in Slot 5) and another NI-4461 card named "Dev1 (which I can't remember what slot this showed up in).

I'm curious, did you happen to do something similar?

Dave