OpenG Menus In LabVIEW

I'm not sure if anyone else has had a problem like this before or not, but I figured I'd ask. Just yesterday I downloaded the latest version of the VIPM and installed many of the openg packages. They all seemed to install properly (except for ogrsc_dynamicpalette which gave me an Error code 8, which said something about error with PostInstall.vi) however, when I open up labview there was no OpenG palette in my Addons (or any other) Menu. I temporarily added the _openg.lib folder to my palette as a subpalette so I have access to the VI's while I'm working on getting the Palettes installed properly. How is the OpenG toolkits supposed to be installed in the palette?

Thanks,

Dave

They all seemed to install properly (except for ogrsc_dynamicpalette which gave me an Error code 8, which said something about error with PostInstall.vi)

Hi Dave,

I had a similar problem a while ago.

In my case installing the dynamicpallette_15 seemed to install properly on LV8.0,

but on another machine where I had upgraded to LV8.0.1 first, I also got the "PostInstall"-error.

I hope some LAVA/OpenG-guy can explain what goes wrong...

greetz...

TNT

Here is a picture of the error message that appears when i try to install the dynamicpalette package. I realize that I should have posted this thread in the openg forums, but I'm just so use to comming here on a daily basis(I also know that many of the same people are at both forums as well so I guess i figured it would reach them the same). Anyways, hopefully this picture will help detail the error I'm getting and clue someone in as to how to fix it. I'm not sure if the dynamicpalette not being installed is what I'm lacking in order to view the openg palettes in labview either, so if someone knows for sure please let me know.

post-4149-1169825310.gif?width=400

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

I have never seen this error, personally, but I have heard a few reports. I'm the guy who created the dynamicpalette package, so I should be able to help, I hope.

The error that you are seeing is a file permission error (error code 8) when trying to "create or replace" the following file:

<LabVIEW>\user.lib\_dynamicpalette_dirs\menu_to_dir_map.txt

Can you please take a look in this location and see if there is a file there? Is it read-only? Is there anything out of the ordinary? Have you re-tried installing the dynamicpalette package? Have you tried rebooting and then re-installing the dynamicpalette package? Are you running windows as a non-privileged user (non-administrator)?

Regarding your question about how OpenG VIs get into the palette, this is a little bit complicated, but I'll try to keep it simple:

In LabVIEW 8.x, the dynamicpalette package installs the following file:

<LabVIEW>\menus\categories\OpenG.mnu

This is the "OpenG" category, that appears in the palette. This menu file is configured to "synchronize" with the following folder:

.\user.lib\_dynamicpalette_dirs\OpenG\

This means that any MNU files that appear inside that folder will appear in the OpenG category/subpalette. Each OpenG package that appears in the OpenG category/subpalette installs an MNU file in the above folder.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,

-Jim

Jim,

Thanks a ton, this fixed my problem I was having perfectly. The file for some reason was marked as read-only (odd since I didnt remember even installing it under my 8.2 directory yet), and as soon as I removed that attribute it installed perfectly. I then closed labview and re-opened it and I see the OpenG palettes as they were intended to be seen and used.

Note: I just realized the reason why it was read-only was because the folder apparently made its way into our SCC and a get latest version put it under my 8.2 directory with read-only privelages.

Now its time to take a look at all the tools :book: .

Thanks again,

Dave

• 6 years later...

I had a related problem.  When I copied my custom palette from LabVIEW Data2011(32-bit) to LabVIEW Data2012(32-bit), the OpenG palette went away.  If I delete LabVIEW Data2012(32-bit)Palettes, I got my OpenG back - but like to have my customized menus too!

It seems to be solved now.  First, I did Tools->Advanced->Customize Palette and deleted some things that didn't seem to really exist anyway.  When I said "save changes" it created LabVIEW Data2012(32-bit)Palettesmenusdefault.  Now I copied my 2011 Palettes to a new location and deleted the "default" directory from menus, then copy/merge'd the result into 2012(32-bit)Palettes.