Not A Number/Path/Refnum does not work on TDMS file refnum

The "Not A Number/Path/Refnum" primitive does not work on TDMS file refnum.

The help says: "Note VI. For semaphore refnums, use the This function only works on references generated by LabVIEW functions. Do not use this function to determine the validity of a rendezvous refnum, semaphore refnum, or any refnum created by the GOOP wizard, LabVIEW Database Connectivity Toolkit, or the LabVIEW Internet Developers Toolkit. For rendezvous refnums, use the Not A Rendezvous VI. For semaphore refnums, use the Not A Semaphore VI. For all other GOOP refnums or toolkit refnums, use the VIs defined by the refnum creator."

Therefore, since the TDMS file "appears" to be primitive functions (not listed in the exceptions), I am expecting the primitive function "Not A Number/Path/Refnum" to work on TDMS references.

post-121-1171317767.png?width=400

See example below.

Download File:post-121-1171317741.vi

PJM

QUOTE(PJM_labview @ Feb 12 2007, 11:09 PM)

Edit: Well apparently I spoke too fast, this function does not appear to work on file refnum at all (same pb for regular file primitive). This might be the intended behavior. I guess this "Use this function to make sure a reference to an object, such as a VI, application, or control, still resides in system memory and was not closed" should be read as "Use this function to make sure a reference to an object, such as a VI, application, or control (but not file reference), still resides in system memory and was not closed".

Hi PJM,

can you explain what you mean when you say that it does not work on file refnums?

I just tried to wire a file refnum to "Not A Number/Path/Refnum" primitive, and I do get a correct indication of the reference status?

/J