SVN and LabVIEW path problem - help needed.

berndr

Hello,

I have a problem using SVN 1.4.2 and LabVIEW (7.1 and 8.xx).

The LabVIEW SW is developed on different PCs (Windows). The application software is stored in different paths and the LabVIEW distribution is stored in different paths.

Because LabVIEW compiles the VIs new when you store them in a different path you get a new revision eachtime you change the development PC without changing the logical code!

Isn't it possible to run LabVIEW with relative paths? Do you have an idea how the problem can be solved? Or is the only solution to use on every development plattform the same paths for the application and the LabVIEW distribution?

kind regards,

Bernd.

QUOTE(berndr @ Feb 16 2007, 09:45 AM)

Isn't it possible to run LabVIEW with relative paths? Do you have an idea how the problem can be solved? Or is the only solution to use on every development plattform the same paths for the application and the LabVIEW distribution?

LabVIEW has a limited set of relative paths:

vi.lib, user.lib and inst.lib

If you only refer to files inside these paths (or relative to the VI itself) there won't be any problem, at least we haven't seen it with SCC, just make sure you build from one root!

Ton

I try to take care that each working copy of the souce code on different machines have the same directory structure. I've set the SVN repository directory structure up to be similar to the working copy directory. That way when checking out the source code, you can use the SVN directory structure as a guide for your hard drive.

I cannot seem to stress this to my users enough, make your VIs READ-ONLY after checking out (or updating) from the repository. Along with this, be sure to set your LabVIEW Options.

post-5791-1171635565.gif?width=400

This way LabVIEW won't ask you to save uncessary changes.. such as some absolute path requirements.

If you need to modify a READ-ONLY VI, do the Ctrl-M trick... of course when you save the VI you'll need to uncheck the READ-ONLY property.

A little bit of a hassle but helps ensure that you don't make unwanted changes.

-James