Flatten To String for LV 7.x

Eugen Graf

QUOTE(Eugen Graf @ Feb 22 2007, 03:28 PM)

Hello, my question is:

how can I realize Flatten To String with little endian byte order for 7.x LabVIEW versions? I tryed Swap Bytes and Type Cast VIs, but it fits only interegr data types and not floating point numbers.

Eugen

Hi,

Flatten to string and friends are independent of machine type. So you can use the same data on both Macs and PC's. Flatten/unflatten does the big/little endian rearranging for you.

Joris

QUOTE(robijn @ Feb 22 2007, 05:00 PM)

Hi,

Flatten to string and friends are independent of machine type. So you can use the same data on both Macs and PC's. Flatten/unflatten does the big/little endian rearranging for you.

Joris

Thanks, I know, but this feature for this VI is only available for 8.x versions. I can't convert data from big endian to little endian in 7.x.

QUOTE(JFM @ Feb 22 2007, 05:18 PM)

Oh, thanks, but I want to handle any data undependent on type. So I want to replace Flatten To String with my own VI, that has the same functionality and works under 7.x versions.

The problem is, I have a lot of big clusters with different datas, so I don't want to handle every element others, I want only one VI, that converts every data type.

Eugen

QUOTE(Eugen Graf @ Feb 22 2007, 05:30 PM)

I don't understand you. I was not talking about LV8 specific behaviour, the platform independent flattening was there at least from version 5.

QUOTE(Eugen Graf @ Feb 22 2007, 05:30 PM)

The problem is, I have a lot of big clusters with different datas, so I don't want to handle every element others, I want only one VI, that converts every data type.

Well, you can connect the various datatypes to the flatten function, but I don't understand why you want to do flattening AND big/little endian reordering. Just flatten and the resulting string can be unflattened on any platform.

You talked about a subVI, maybe you can create one that works with any datatype by using a variant as input.

Joris