Upgrading My Labview

siallid

QUOTE(siallid @ Feb 27 2007, 01:10 AM)

Hi

I have Labview version 6.1 how I can upgrade to newer versions?!!

thanks..

The way it works: people write LabVIEW so that they can feed their families, and save for their retirement; and for that to happen you have to pay them for their effort. That means you write a check to National Instrunments and they send you an upgrade.

This is a serious forum full of hard working people; most of us write software and are paid for the effort. Please don't come here looking for bootleg copies and advise on how to steal the develpment system. If I am mistaken about your intent, I am sorry. If I am correct, you probably lost any chance to get useful advise on how to use LabVIEW.

Mike

QUOTE(mross @ Feb 27 2007, 06:41 AM)

The way it works: people write LabVIEW so that they can feed their families, and save for their retirement; and for that to happen you have to pay them for their effort. That means you write a check to National Instrunments and they send you an upgrade.

This is a serious forum full of hard working people; most of us write software and are paid for the effort. Please don't come here looking for bootleg copies and advise on how to steal the develpment system. If I am mistaken about your intent, I am sorry. If I am correct, you probably lost any chance to get useful advise on how to use LabVIEW.

Mike

you can not learn me such things because I ask about an original software we bought it for our company

where I work and Iam now working on it in my work. and about labview 8.2 it is only a mistake

in filling the information or if I have labview 8.2 why I ask about upgrading labview v.6.1 to a new

version. in any case I don't thing that there is a bad people like you.

QUOTE(mross @ Feb 27 2007, 04:41 PM)

This is a serious forum full of hard working people; most of us write software and are paid for the effort. Please don't come here looking for bootleg copies and advise on how to steal the develpment system. If I am mistaken about your intent, I am sorry.

Personally, I think you are - I don't see anything in siallid's original post that suggests that he/she is looking for a bootleg copy. I also interested (from a human perception standpoint) why did you assumed that his/her intent was a dishonest one?

QUOTE(crelf @ Feb 27 2007, 07:50 AM)

Nicely put. I could learn a thing or two, eh?

I agree with you. I think it was just too late at night or something. Feeling tender about the subject. I did wonder how anyone could have a legal copy and not know how to get a new one a couple versions down the line. Nevertheless, I was out of line. In the absence of evidence to the contrary one should assume good will.

Mike

QUOTE(siallid @ Feb 27 2007, 06:33 AM)

you can not learn me such things because I ask about an original software we bought it for our company

where I work and Iam now working on it in my work. and about labview 8.2 it is only a mistake

in filling the information or if I have labview 8.2 why I ask about upgrading labview v.6.1 to a new

version. in any case I don't thing that there is a bad people like you.

Siallid,

I apologize for my harshness. I made assumptions about you that were incorrect. I should not have done that.

With National Instruments, almost all information can be found online at htp://www.ni.com Also, when your company bought LabVIEW 6 they were probably assigned a sales person and a field engineer. These people will be the most knowledgeable and may be able to help avoid any language difficulties.

My company pays annually for the subscription servivce. I get upgrades automatically, and I get cost free and fast telephone technical support. If you are not in the USA I am not sure if the same service is offered. This service is very valuable to me and I recommend it to anyone who uses LabVIEW on a regulr basis. I believe this service is more economical than only buying the versions as they are issued.

Once again, I am sorry to have been uncivil in my comments to you.

Mike

QUOTE(mross @ Feb 28 2007, 01:39 AM)

I agree with you. I think it was just too late at night or something. Feeling tender about the subject. I did wonder how anyone could have a legal copy and not know how to get a new one a couple versions down the line.

I hear ya! Come to think of it, most of my rants are usually written late at night when I probably should just give up and go to bed :D

For what it's worth, I also thought it a bit odd that someone with LabVIEW wouldn't know to contact National Instruments about upgrading, but I figure that he's/she's new to the game and perhaps had the older version handed to them with little exposure to the community at large.

QUOTE(mross @ Feb 27 2007, 03:39 PM)

Nicely put. I could learn a thing or two, eh?

I agree with you. I think it was just too late at night or something. Feeling tender about the subject. I did wonder how anyone could have a legal copy and not know how to get a new one a couple versions down the line. Nevertheless, I was out of line. In the absence of evidence to the contrary one should assume good will.

Mike

Siallid,

I apologize for my harshness. I made assumptions about you that were incorrect. I should not have done that.

With National Instruments, almost all information can be found online at htp://www.ni.com Also, when your company bought LabVIEW 6 they were probably assigned a sales person and a field engineer. These people will be the most knowledgeable and may be able to help avoid any language difficulties.

My company pays annually for the subscription servivce. I get upgrades automatically, and I get cost free and fast telephone technical support. If you are not in the USA I am not sure if the same service is offered. This service is very valuable to me and I recommend it to anyone who uses LabVIEW on a regulr basis. I believe this service is more economical than only buying the versions as they are issued.

Mike

Siallid,

Mike

Thankyou Mr. Mike and I am also sorry. I only want to say that I have no experience in what I was

asking about.

I am an electronic engineer but I have an intrest in measurement and control with computer. and

in my work there was a project for industrial parameters information system. the project was in cooperation with IAEA . so the software and hardware we got from the IAEA.There was two engineers responsiple for the project but they don't finish the project and their was some problems to be solved and their was no person have any experience to continue the work. So my chief asked me to continue the job. so I take more than two years of self study and training to understand the code that written with labview 6 and to solve some problems in the code and to do some improvements in the code. that work was difficult to me due to lake of information and the internet is not available in my work for the last years but only now with only one computer connected to the internet for all the engineers and technichians in the department . and the internet connection is not always available and is very slow.

for my work now the Labview version 6.1 is Ok and is sufficient for our needs now. but as I see

all discussions and training programs of NI are based on newer versions. and vi's in discussions are written with newer versions always so that what make me ask about newer versions.

so sorry again and I said to you this story that may make the matter more clear to with my best regards.

Salaheddin

Salaheddin,

I am very sympathetic. I had to learn LabVIEW on my own with no one else to help me learn. This was not easy, but I had access to the internet and the telephone based technical support which is excellent.

You may know these things, but I wish to make amends for my impolite response to you. My best advise is to make many subvi's. You can create or generate fake data to test how each subvi is operating, then add them one by one to the larger vi after you are certain they doing everything properly. We have a saying that you can eat an whole elephant one bite a a time.

You can also use the Create SubVi function to encapsulate parts of the block diagram. Sometimes this makes debugging problems easier. I hope that your predecessors wrote good clean code and added useful notes as explaination.

One thing to keep in mind is that the newer versions are using DAQmx functions and hardware. You cannot use DAQmx with Tradition DAQ hardware. You need to keep this in mind - if you need some DAQmx function, you will need new hardware to use DAQmx.

When I got the version 6i this was a good release, and v7 and v7.2 were very good to use with Traditional DAQ. In particular the addition of user event structures and queues has been a great help for my own work.

Eventually, if you continue using LabVIEW you will definitely want to upgrade. DAQmx, v8 and beyond will be much better than Traditional DAQ. So if you can migrate your hardware and software in that direction it willl be good.

Mike

QUOTE(mross @ Feb 27 2007, 11:18 PM)

Salaheddin,

I am very sympathetic. I had to learn LabVIEW on my own with no one else to help me learn. This was not easy, but I had access to the internet and the telephone based technical support which is excellent.

You may know these things, but I wish to make amends for my impolite response to you. My best advise is to make many subvi's. You can create or generate fake data to test how each subvi is operating, then add them one by one to the larger vi after you are certain they doing everything properly. We have a saying that you can eat an whole elephant one bite a a time.

You can also use the Create SubVi function to encapsulate parts of the block diagram. Sometimes this makes debugging problems easier. I hope that your predecessors wrote good clean code and added useful notes as explaination.

One thing to keep in mind is that the newer versions are using DAQmx functions and hardware. You cannot use DAQmx with Tradition DAQ hardware. You need to keep this in mind - if you need some DAQmx function, you will need new hardware to use DAQmx.

When I got the version 6i this was a good release, and v7 and v7.2 were very good to use with Traditional DAQ. In particular the addition of user event structures and queues has been a great help for my own work.

Eventually, if you continue using LabVIEW you will definitely want to upgrade. DAQmx, v8 and beyond will be much better than Traditional DAQ. So if you can migrate your hardware and software in that direction it willl be good.

Mike

Mike,

thankyou for your notes and advices that will help me. and sorry because of my poor english language. because my language is arabic and my english is only sientific , that makes me not able to say what I want say. so thankyou again Mike.

Salaheddin