SVN Branching and Merging with VIs

I use SVN for my repository.

My repository is set up with a Trunk and Branches.

I have been recomending to people that they update their branches each time there is a change to the trunk.

What I am finding, however, is that since SVN treets merges as Diffs, if you continualy merge changes in from the trunk into a devbranch as you do developement, and then go to merge changes from the devbranch back to the trunk using a span of revisions which include trunk merges the files which should have been up to date with the trunk apear to be conflicted.

Oddly my attempts to study and reproduce the problem don't seem terribly fruitful, as the test cases that I am setting up seem to behave as expected.

I'm not sure what I am missing.

Is there a way perhapse to use the diff-cmd option in SVN to hook in a smarter differ that can spot the fact that there is not actually a change in a file?

Is there somewhere where we can get more advice on SVN with LabVIEW or binary files in general?

I may be having more luck as a result of having changed my mime type to "image/x-xbitmap" does this make sense? Should I do this, is there a way i can change the mime type for a whole bunch of files?

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks,

Amaury

QUOTE(Amaury @ Feb 27 2007, 10:40 PM)

I use SVN for my repository.

My repository is set up with a Trunk and Branches.

I have been recomending to people that they update their branches each time there is a change to the trunk.

What I am finding, however, is that since SVN treets merges as Diffs, if you continualy merge changes in from the trunk into a devbranch as you do developement, and then go to merge changes from the devbranch back to the trunk using a span of revisions which include trunk merges the files which should have been up to date with the trunk apear to be conflicted.

Oddly my attempts to study and reproduce the problem don't seem terribly fruitful, as the test cases that I am setting up seem to behave as expected.

I'm not sure what I am missing.

Is there a way perhapse to use the diff-cmd option in SVN to hook in a smarter differ that can spot the fact that there is not actually a change in a file?

Is there somewhere where we can get more advice on SVN with LabVIEW or binary files in general?

I may be having more luck as a result of having changed my mime type to "image/x-xbitmap" does this make sense? Should I do this, is there a way i can change the mime type for a whole bunch of files?

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks,

Amaury

Amaury,

SVN does not keep track of whick revisions have already been merged into a branch. I believe that it is something that the SVN developers are working on. There is a tool that is commonly used to achieve this called http://www.orcaware.com/svn/wiki/Svnmerge.py' target="_blank">svnmerge. It is written in python and you can run the script directly or run a compiled exe in windows.

Thats about the only solution, I think.

Thanks,

-Jim