DAQ - "Do Not Allow Regeneration"

I don't fully understand the options regarding "allowing regeneration" of output data:

I've got a process that involves analog output and input in sync. They're externally clocked, and the two PCI cards are connected by RTSI. In each cycle I write 100k Samples to the 720k output buffer and read 100k from the input buffer and crunch that data (not exactly 100k, but never mind that). After data crunch, go back to "write 100k of the output". Right now I have the analog output task regeneration mode set to "Do Not Allow," because I want an error to happen if the data crunch takes too long. I want to write fresh output data for every cycle's worth.

I'd like to change to "Allow Regeneration" and still have the program cry foul if the crunch-of-analog-input-data takes too long. Why I would like to Allow Regeneration, you ask? Because after the real process is done, I'd like to seamlessly transition into "warmup" mode where the analog output continues without stopping, but without writing the buffer repeatedly (let's conserve computer resources here).

So, how do I Allow Regeneration and still cry foul in the event that my program takes too long to cycle back to the point where it would write some fresh data to the output buffer?