Long delay for "Search the LabVIEW Help ..." startup

On my work computer (NI PXI-8105, 2GHz, 504 MB, quick internet access), there is always a long delay (~ 70 - 80 secs) before the "LabVIEW Help" window gets populated the first time (and sometimes the second time) the "Search the LabVIEW Help" option is used after LabVIEW startup. I do not have nearly this long of a delay on my home PC, which in all other ways is quite a bit slower. I have LV8.2 on both.

Any ideas of the cause or the cure?

Thank you,

Jon

QUOTE(Jon Sweeney @ Mar 22 2007, 09:56 AM)

On my work computer (NI PXI-8105, 2GHz, 504 MB, quick internet access), there is always a long delay (~ 70 - 80 secs) before the "LabVIEW Help" window gets populated the first time (and sometimes the second time) the "Search the LabVIEW Help" option is used after LabVIEW startup. I do not have nearly this long of a delay on my home PC, which in all other ways is quite a bit slower. I have LV8.2 on both.

Any ideas of the cause or the cure?

Thank you,

Jon

Try playing around with the Palette Loading options under Tools>Options>Controls/Functions Palettes.

I have mine set to Load palettes in background.

You have to re-start LV after making a change here.

Neville.

QUOTE(Neville D @ Mar 22 2007, 02:23 PM)

Try playing around with the Palette Loading options under Tools>Options>Controls/Functions Palettes.

I have mine set to Load palettes in background.

You have to re-start LV after making a change here.

Neville.

Neville,

I'm not sure what the connection between Palette loading and the Help Window is, but I'll give your suggestion a try tomorrow.

Thank you,

Jon

QUOTE(Jon Sweeney @ Mar 22 2007, 06:58 PM)

Neville,

I'm not sure what the connection between Palette loading and the Help Window is, but I'll give your suggestion a try tomorrow.

Thank you,

Jon

Another thing you could try is to copy over your labview.ini file from your work PC to the home PC.. (backup before hand). There might be some setting in there that is incorrect or different.

Neville.

QUOTE(Neville D @ Mar 23 2007, 01:10 PM)

Another thing you could try is to copy over your labview.ini file from your work PC to the home PC.. (backup before hand). There might be some setting in there that is incorrect or different.

Neville.

Neville,

The palette loading setting had no effect. Will try your other suggestion on Monday. There must be some wierd setting or combination since no-one else seems to have the problem.

Thanks again.

Jon

QUOTE(Neville D @ Mar 23 2007, 01:10 PM)

Neville.

Neville,

I switched labview.ini files as you suggested, and the Help appeared quickly.

After comparing the two .ini's and finding no logical reason for the speed discrepancy, I made a copy of the original .ini and tried it. The Help still appeared quickly using this. I then reverted to the original .ini and found that the Help now appears quickly using the original. So the problem is gone, though I'm not sure why. Maybe there was a slight disk problem that was corrected by renaming the .ini file and renaming it back. Not sure, but thanks for the help. The time delay was getting frustrating.

Jon

• 3 weeks later...