hello everyone

wenwen

Hi, I am new to labview. Actually I just had access to labview today ( Though I heard about it long time ago). My major is chemistry. So i really don't know much about labview. I do some NMR work, also I am interested in mass spectra. BUt usually these needs a lot of data to process. Someone told me labview can do a great job for automatic data processing. so i decided to learn it. There are several things i concern:

1. the labview i have access to is version 6.0, how different would it be from 8.20?

2. i borrowed some book. but is there an online tutorial?

3. how long do i have to take to be able to do some basic data processing by labview, let's say, like a fourier transformation? or a convolution?

4. how long do i have to take to become an experienced labview programmer (please don't laugh at me :)

thank you all !

Welcome,

I am sure you will enjoy using LabVIEW. This is a fun programming language.

1. the labview i have access to is version 6.0, how different would it be from 8.20?

Before we can answer that we need to know which flavor of LV do you have, Base, Full, Professional. In anycase, I will try to answer. There are a lot of differences. The most noticeable in my opinion is that Lv 6.0 does not have event structure. Also for beginner LV >= 7.0 has express VIs that help you get going with almost no coding.

2. I borrowed some book. but is there an online tutorial?

Check this LabVIEW Graphical Programming Course, but remember google is you friend...

3. how long do i have to take to be able to do some basic data processing by labview, let's say, like a fourier transformation? or a convolution?

LabVIEW ship with FFT and Convolution VIs, so depending on your flavor of LV, not very long.

4. how long do i have to take to become an experienced labview programmer (please don't laugh at me
:)

Well, this depend why you mean by "experienced". One of the greatest advantage of LV is that it allow you to get going and do stuff very quickly with very little experience. A corrolary to that statement is that the end result is most of the time not maintainable in the long run.

I am sure some other LAVA member will chim in with more on this topic.

PJM

Yes Event structure isn't included in Lv 6.0

also i remember that Express VIs helped me alot when i started Using Lab View

You may Order a LabView 8.2 Evaluation Version from the internet For free all you have to do is to Go to

ational Instrumentation then enter labview zone and order your CD.

As a good start you may check the Following Getting started In labiew

for a good reference Check This LabView Student Edition

Hope i could help you

if you need more just tell me

Best Regards

Sherif farouk

QUOTE(wenwen @ Mar 30 2007, 11:53 PM)

This is something related to your advances state.

First off there is a huge difference in how to program (besides the textual vs. graphic idea) [wiki]LabVIEW[/wiki] is driven by [wiki]Data Flow[/wiki] meaning that an instruction will be executed when it is ready, not in the order entered! this is a big mindset change

Second, saying that C++ can do 60% off your problems means you lack 40% advanced C++ programming (I'm no C++ programmer) I think anything can be done with C++ and LabVIEW but LabVIEW will normally allow you to program faster! Normally good C++ code executes faster than good LabVIEW code. However good LabVIEW code outruns shitty C++ code :rolleyes: .

Saying outloud here that something can't be done in LabVIEW will most likely be answered by an answer, uhm, yes did it 4 years ago by (Ben/Rolf/Jim/PJM/Michael amongst other)

For a beginner the http://forums.ni.com' target="_blank">NI forums are better, why? because people of NI get payed to help you and the user base is bigger.

About the time of becoming an advanced LabVIEW programmer....

I started in my 3rd year of my bachelor (2003), and did since about 3 years of full-time LabVIEW development. I won't say I'm advanced but my heads grips LabVIEW (sometimes I dream about the missing error out function of my 2 year old :unsure: ).

To become an advanced LabVIEW programmer you need enthousiasm!

Good luck,

Ton