Shared Variable Problem

I am getting the following error using shared variables.

LabVIEW: (Hex 0x8BBB0005) Unable to locate variable in the Shared Variable Engine. Deployment of this variable may have failed.

However the message box that comes up on loading confirms that the variable has been deployed. Has anyone come accross this before and could perhaps tell me what I am doing wrong?

thanks

QUOTE(superslug @ Apr 10 2007, 05:52 PM)

So I started up my computer today and without touching anything my shared variables are working again.

Has anyone come across this before? Is it a bug in my code or a bug in labview?

Given the symptoms, that error code would indicate to me that the Shared Variable Engine was not running at the time when your ran your VI that referenced the deployed variable.

After a restart, the service was automatically started up again and everything worked. The deployment step does not depend directly on the shared variable engine. Rather it is deployed to a different subsystem, which was clearly running correctly at the time.

Now that it works, it will be difficult to diagnose exactly what happened, but if you could browse your windows event log and look for anything posted from the Shared Variable Engine service or the executable tagsrv.exe and let me know, I'd appreciate it.

If you see this problem again, check your task manager to see if that process (tagsrv.exe) is running. You can also check the service control manager applet and look for the Shared Variable Engine service. If it's not running, then at least we'll know that that's the problem at the top level.

QUOTE(superslug @ Apr 11 2007, 09:44 PM)

how do I get to the windows event log?

If you're using XP, the simplest way is Control Panel >> Performance and Maintenance >> Administrative Tools >> Event Viewer

Look at the "System" and "Application" logs and see if there's anything from tagsrv.exe, Shared Variable Engine, or the Service Control Manager.

I have the following error occuring a few times but not limited to the day I had the problem.

Service Control Manager:

The NiRioSvc service terminated with service-specific error 4294967295 (0xFFFFFFFF).

Doesn't mean much to me though...

QUOTE(jjuhasz @ Apr 13 2007, 02:03 AM)

If you're using XP, the simplest way is Control Panel >> Performance and Maintenance >> Administrative Tools >> Event Viewer

Look at the "System" and "Application" logs and see if there's anything from tagsrv.exe, Shared Variable Engine, or the Service Control Manager.