Process of creating OpenG VIs

Hi,

Inspired by Jim Krings blog post I couldn't live without OpenG Time Tools I decided to make a small contribution to OpenG community and release one of my VIs as a OpenG VI under BSD license. This VI would fit very well to OpenG Time library. As I've not yet contributed to OpenG I'd like to ask what is the process of releasing OpenG VIs in general and in this case? I know I could have just asked Jim directly but I thought asking this publicly would benefit the community as well.

Tomi

• 4 weeks later...

QUOTE(Tomi Maila @ Apr 19 2007, 12:54 PM)

Hi,

Inspired by Jim Krings blog post http://thinkinging.com/2007/04/18/i-couldnt-live-without-the-openg-time-tools/' target="_blank">I couldn't live without OpenG Time Tools I decided to make a small contribution to OpenG community and release one of my VIs as a OpenG VI under BSD license. This VI would fit very well to OpenG Time library. As I've not yet contributed to OpenG I'd like to ask what is the process of releasing OpenG VIs in general and in this case? I know I could have just asked Jim directly but I thought asking this publicly would benefit the community as well.

Tomi

You could send the VI to Jim directly (or myself) and ask him to add it on your behalf. He (and me) will maintain your copyright notice. Or you get an account at sourceforge.net and ask Jim to have you added as developer to the OpenG Toolkit project. This will give you commit rights to the libraries but obviously this is not something you and everyone else would want to be granted to just about everybody.

Once you start to commit your own VIs to the libraries there are a number of things to watch out although adding to existing libraries is really quite trivial. I usually leave the task of generating a package to be distributed to Jim for instance when he feels alright with it.

Rolf Kalbermatter