Labview 7.1 on Fedora 6 - libc problems

zampala

I have installed labview 7.1 on a Fedora Core 6 machine, but when trying to launch labview from command line I get a

glibc detected realloc(): invalid next size

or something like that. glibc version is 2.5

anyone can help me out?

On a suse 10.1 install labview runs ok, but my GPIB-USB-HS shows an orange Ready LED light, never turning into green. Of course there's no communication between the pc and the instrument. The same interface is working fine under win. USB permission issues?? but working as root does not do any better either.

any suggestions?

Fedora or Suse makes no difference, I just would like to have labview running on linux...

thanks in advance

mirko

Newer versions of glibc are not binary compatible with old versions. You have to use the old version of glibc. I guess LV ships with the proper version of glibc, I'm not sure however. Use linux command ldd to check the library used with your LabVIEW executable. You can link to a non-default version of library by using the envionment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH. For more information on shared libraries in general, see the link below

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Program-Library-HOWT...-libraries.html

Tomi

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE(zampala @ May 1 2007, 04:46 AM)

I have installed labview 7.1 on a Fedora Core 6 machine, but when trying to launch labview from command line I get a

glibc detected realloc(): invalid next size

or something like that. glibc version is 2.5

anyone can help me out?

On a suse 10.1 install labview runs ok, but my GPIB-USB-HS shows an orange Ready LED light, never turning into green. Of course there's no communication between the pc and the instrument. The same interface is working fine under win. USB permission issues?? but working as root does not do any better either.

any suggestions?

Fedora or Suse makes no difference, I just would like to have labview running on linux...

thanks in advance

mirko

Have you checked that NI-488 drivers for Linux support your GPIB interface? While the actual register interface is very common for all NI GPIB interfaces, the actual connection to it (PCI, ENET, USB etc needs to be specifically supported by the NI-488 driver for this to ever work. I would guess that NI-488 for Linux does not support all possible GPIB interface busses yet or maybe there is a newer release that does. Check out the NI site for this.

Rolf Kalbermatter

• 8 months later...

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I've run into the same issue, I installed the retail box version of Suse 10.3 and have not been successful running LabView 7.1. I even created a directory and script to include old libraries with no success. Note, it works fine with the downloaded OpenSuse 10.3.

BTW: GPIB drivers don't enter into this, I'm not using, nor installing GPIB on my machine (yet).

...Dan

Hi to all,

In recent past I use LabView for Linux for only one project, but I found several problems installing NI drivers due to binary incompatibility... The NI installer script ask for recompile the code but even so the installation abort with errors concerning different version of system library needed...

I have tried different distributions to solve the problem (SuSE 9.x/10.x, Fedora, Mandriva...) but the only one that was resulted fully compatible was the CentOS distrbution... This is fast, simple and free and so much close to the RedHat to be binary compatible with NI drivers.

I've used the 4.0 version downloaded from the official site...

Osvaldo

• 5 years later...

I hate to resurrect a dead thread, but this is the first Google result for this and the solution to this problem has nothing to do with glibc.  The problem has to do with a mistaken assumption that NI made with the listing of directories ("." and ".." being first), you can fix the problem by clearing the directory index option on your filesystem:
sudo tune2fs -O ^dir_index /dev/partition_device

(where "partition_device" is usually sda1").  This solution is described in the NI document:
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/A2D53C8E0D88380B86256EBD005B31D2

I hope this helps people that are looking to use LabVIEW 7.1 on newer systems, it's also important to note that you need to set a couple environment variables to keep LabVIEW from crashing:

export SAL_SYNCHRONIZE=1export MESA_BACK_BUFFER=Pixmap