Debugging DLLs

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone figured out how to get the Visual Studio 2005 debugger to work in a C DLL that is called from LabVIEW? Every time I try to attach the debugger to the LabVIEW process and set a breakpint in my DLL I get a "breakpoint will not currently be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document." message.

It would be awesome if this could be done ....

Thanks,

Phil

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have a similar situation as mentioned above. In my case i am using a DLL made in VC++ 2005 and call it from an application made in Labview. I have tried the above method for debugging the DLL but i get the following message

"Debugging information for "LabVIEW.exe" cannot be found or does not match. Binary was not built with debug information. Do you want to continue debugging?"

Is there any other way to debug the DLL? Can someone help me out? Thanks in Advance.

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE(Sarfaraz @ Aug 10 2007, 05:52 AM)

Hi,

I have a similar situation as mentioned above. In my case i am using a DLL made in VC++ 2005 and call it from an application made in Labview. I have tried the above method for debugging the DLL but i get the following message

"Debugging information for "LabVIEW.exe" cannot be found or does not match. Binary was not built with debug information. Do you want to continue debugging?"

Is there any other way to debug the DLL? Can someone help me out? Thanks in Advance.

This message is normal. LabVIEW has been compiled without debugging information for several reasons. One of them is the size it would take, another one the fact that debugging information can expose sensitive information in the executable that makes dissasembling it very easy.

You should be able to ignore that message and just continue. I have no experience with Visual C 2005 but in Visual C 6 it is just like that. As long as your DLL was compiled with debug information the Visual C debugger should show you source code debugging for your DLL. It could be that you get prompted for the project file at first launch so Visual C can locate the source files. Of course if you start to single step from your code into LabVIEW code you will only see assembly there.

Rolf Kalbermatter