Enable Windows Explorer for LLB persistence

I'm not sure if this is a LabVIEW 8.2 bug or a more general bug for all versions since 7.0...

If you check the box on the LabVIEW options-->Environment page labeled: 'Enable Windows Explorer for LLB files' and restart windows+LabVIEW, you will be able to view the contents of LabVIEW in Windows Explorer.

http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=6220

That's great. But if you decide you don't like the feature, you need to make sure that the option is unchecked in every version of LabVIEW you have installed starting at 7.0 or the option will stay 'enabled'.

Its a strange behavior, and (I believe) mostly an artifact of NI not having true 'Environment' settings that are stored outside the LabVIEW.ini file and therefore are persitent across multiple installations of LabVIEW.

QUOTE(Omar Mussa @ Jun 25 2007, 09:43 PM)

Its a strange behavior..

Related to this... LLB's only open using Internet Explorer on my system; I can't get them to open in Windows Explorer, which sucks because IE defaults to "Icon" viewstyle whereas I would rather have "Details".

QUOTE(Dirk J. @ Jun 26 2007, 01:28 AM)

Related to this... LLB's only open using Internet Explorer on my system; I can't get them to open in Windows Explorer, which sucks because IE defaults to "Icon" viewstyle whereas I would rather have "Details".

I actually hacked around this problem because it was irritating me so much. I built a batch file (remember those?) which I defaulted the opening of LLB files to point to.

@echo offExplorer /root,%~f1

Opening up an LLB this way, then changing the view of the window to the details view made all subsequent opens open up in the details mode.

YMMV of course, but I'm hoping for a more elegant solution soon...

QUOTE(orko @ Jun 27 2007, 12:29 AM)

(remember those?)

that kind of works for me...

the llb now opens in explorer but the 'details' view is not persistent.

but at least it gives me a button to change to details view faster than in IE.

BTW, is this problem IE7 related? Something MS changed to override DDE based file associations with Explorer?

QUOTE(Dirk J. @ Jun 27 2007, 01:01 AM)

that kind of works for me...

the llb now opens in explorer but the 'details' view is not persistent.

but at least it gives me a button to change to details view faster than in IE.

BTW, is this problem IE7 related? Something MS changed to override DDE based file associations with Explorer?

One other thing (that I wasn't sure if it affected this or not) was to change the default folder view settings for all of my folders to detailed view.

I can tell you that this is definitely not IE7 related, since I'm still using IE6 ;-)

I spent some time looking through the registry settings for the LLB classid, but wasn't able to change the view behavior by changing either the DDE settings (tried ViewFolder() and ExploreFolder() in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{99F3B825-BDAB-4231-8EDB-5A369C2A2F80}\shell\open\ddeexec) or by changing the open command to point to "%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /root,/idlist,%I,%L" in the ascii encoded string at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{99F3B825-BDAB-4231-8EDB-5A369C2A2F80}\shell\open\command (it was originally set to Explorer /e).

I'm thinking that perhaps the Explorer switches might be hardcoded into the LVShellExt.dll. If that is the case, then there's nothing us mortals can do.

Personally, I think that it would be ideal to have the view of the LLB files selectable as an option right in the LV Environment options dialog... is there a better suggestion for the wish list?

QUOTE(orko @ Jun 27 2007, 04:39 PM)

One other thing (that I wasn't sure if it affected this or not) was to change the default folder view settings for all of my folders to detailed view.

That's default already.

I can tell you that this is definitely not IE7 related, since I'm still using IE6 ;-)

ok, I don't remember when this started, on a LV upgrade or an IE upgrade...