Anyone successfully implemented Multiple RS-232 ports with USB?

TG

Has Anyone succesfully implemented multiple (as in more than 8) serial ports using one or several USB

ports?

I really want to relieve this 16 port PCI card from my PC so that my platform can be more portable.

IF anyone has done any successful work in this area Id be happy to hear about it.

Thank You,

JR

yes,

I have used a "Keyspan USA-49WG" and a "Keyspan USA-19HS" adapter to get additional RS232 Ports for a LabVIEW application (Testing µCs, which communicate through RS232 with the "host application")

I have heard of issuses with some other adapters, but I had no problems at all with the Keyspan producs. Maybe that sounds like heavy advertising, but that's not intended.

QUOTE(i2dx @ Jul 7 2007, 07:00 AM)

yes,

I have used a "Keyspan USA-49WG" and a "Keyspan USA-19HS" adapter to get additional RS232 Ports for a LabVIEW application (Testing µCs, which communicate through RS232 with the "host application")

I have heard of issuses with some other adapters, but I had no problems at all with the Keyspan producs. Maybe that sounds like heavy advertising, but that's not intended.

Most appreciated i2dx :yes:

My main thing is to not waste lots of time on issues with hardware. I think you just saved me much trouble in deciding.

Thank You,

JR

QUOTE(John Rouse @ Jul 7 2007, 12:33 AM)

One other option you could consider, if you're looking for 16+ ports, is a portserver device over ethernet. I recently built a system which used a http://www.digi.com/products/serialservers/etherlite.jsp' target="_blank">Digi 32-port device. A second, private ethernet port on the PC running LabVIEW isn't essential, but is helpful to keep the traffic off the corporate net. Digi's drivers manage the portserver so the application code and VISA only address local com ports. The name mapping from com port to physical socket stays constant, which seems less likely with some USB solutions I've seen.

About 40USD per port added, which seemed reasonable.

Dave