External event

hi,

I have a VI which is, at the moment, only a GUI. After initialization all of it is controlled by a single event structure which responds to button pushes. I'd like to add an event which will correspond to data received from a USB modem. I assume this can be done by dynamically registering events, but I have no idea how to start. Any ideas? Maybe dynamically registering events is not even the way to go?

thanks,

Jon.

• 4 weeks later...

QUOTE(NormKirchner @ Aug 22 2007, 03:12 PM)

Eugen Thats a nice simple example thx for posting it.

Hi Norm

I am just trying to get the mechanism for (hardware or visa) events ironed out a little more.

Could I ask you for a little more detail about what is happening in the example (pic) you posted using the event registration example?

PS: I guess serial interrupts would be supported in the same way or no? Could this technique be used to catch

incoming characters without constant polling of a serial device?

Thank You

QUOTE(TG @ Sep 19 2007, 09:52 PM)

Could I ask you for a little more detail about what is happening in the example (pic) you posted using the event registration example?

1. we create a user event that has the data type of the visa event

2. pass that to a register for event node.

3. pass the output of that node to a singe event structure that is registered for that event

4. in the lower loop simply fire off that user defined event every time that you have a VISA event

5.(assumed) in the event structure in the top you would have read the data for the event within that case using the event resource name and event type.