How to debug/trace execution of a VIT?

Hello,

I've spent several hours on the phone with NI today trying to find out how to debug/trace execution of a VIT (vi template) with no results. The engineer helping me, skipped out on me and was unreachable through the end of the day.

So basically I have a little problem with VITs which in our application are used as displays which spawn an x amount of displays and show data curves which are read from our memory list. Basically I’m putting in some functionality right now and I want to be able to trace the execution flow (see the code on the BD or put in a break point) of the display instances which get created from say…XY Graph.vit. I know there’s a way to do this b/c NI said it’s a new feature in 8.2.1 and supposedly they fixed a bug in it in 8.5. I called NI “platinum” support line (they should just upgrade straight to triple uranium since platinum is useless). Any ideas? Thanks!

QUOTE(linnx @ Sep 28 2007, 05:05 PM)

Yep got it, thanks.....was a little confusion.

...and for future reference...

You have to identify which instance you are after.

If you are debugging the templates caller you can ctrl-double click to bring up the diagram, similarly with single stepping into.

Templates should show up in hierarchy (ctrl-a show all) were the ctrl-double click also should work.

Ben

QUOTE(Ben @ Sep 28 2007, 03:01 PM)

...and for future reference...

You have to identify which instance you are after.

If you are debugging the templates caller you can ctrl-double click to bring up the diagram, similarly with single stepping into.

Templates should show up in hierarchy (ctrl-a show all) were the ctrl-double click also should work.

Ben

We should clarify... as in Template *.vit and reentrant VI's. You can't locate the template instance on a diagram because it won't exist on a diagram, only in memory. You probably meant reentrant VI instance. I know what you meant but want to make sure others got it.