Help on SubVI's

vinayk

Hello

I have an application where when I push 'open' button on the main application screen, a window should pop up and when I click 'close' on the sub window it should close. I created and saved a VI for the sub window and when I try to add this VI to the main application block diagram by selecting the 'Select a VI...' from the right click menu bar, the icon does not show any terminals. I have gone through the 'Dialog Box Demo.vi' and 'Acquire-Analyze-Present.vi' examples which have similar pop up windows but the sub-vi icons look different and they have input and output terminals. I matched the file -> 'VI Properties' of my sub-vi exactly to the sub-vi's in the examples, but still no use. Please expalin what else am I missing here?

Thank you,

Vinay

QUOTE(vinayk @ Oct 18 2007, 04:01 PM)

... the icon does not show any terminals...

To change the Icon of a VI and/or add terminals, use right-click on the icon (upper right on the Front Panel).

Then connect FP objects to the terminals on the connector where you want them, you might want to read some suggestions on how a good terminal layout should look like, but in general:

• inputs to the left
  • outputs to the right
  • make sure you select a connector pattern with some spare terminals, for future use

/J

I have a better idea. Why doesn't someone start a wiki article that answers this question since it's been the 1000th time someone has asked this on the forums. We currently have a calling a VI category which has bits and pieces but no one comprehensive article. There realy is many ways to call a VI let us list the ways and what are the differences. An overview article is really necessary here.

After refering to the LabView Help, I figured out that when I call a low priority VI from a high priority VI, the low prioirty VI's proirity rises to match that of the calling VI. By doing so my math tasks that were supposed to be running on the actual high priority VI were paused which does not serve my purpose. Any suggestions please...

I created this simple example to better explain what I am doing. I set the main VI priority to Time-Critical and the Sub-VI priority to Background.

post-2399-0-27373300-1349535079.png

post-2399-0-01878100-1349535632.png

LabVIEW Task Manager Application.zip