Forums in different languages

QUOTE(Michael_Aivaliotis @ Oct 19 2007, 08:02 AM)

The nice thing about LAVA is that we are reaching a nice critical mass. Discussions are alive and exciting here. We've created a pretty decent community and I think we can get a lot done.

How about this then - try creating subcommunities with different languages.

I know that there is no big community in Israel - a lot of people use LabVIEW, but the technical interaction is probably minimal and you get occasional people posting in English. I wonder what would happen if people had a board where they could get answers in their own language. I'm certain there would be some participation, but I wonder if it would be enough to pass the critical mass.

I assume this would be no minor feat, however. Is that correct?

Thanks. I will have the potential in the relatively near future to spread word of this to hundreds of people, but there are still issues before I can do that.

The encoding you use is UTF8, which is not automatically detected either by IE or FF. If you can, it would be good if you can try changing it to ISO-Logical or Hebrew (Windows).

Additionally, both the text alignment and the document orientation are left-to-right, which looks really bad. I know that this can be changed in IP boards, but I'm not sure whether it can be changed only for a specific subforum. Are there any more options you can play with?

P.S. This is what it looks like both left-to-right and right-to-left.

The one on the bottom is preferable, but the problem is that the text is left-justified.

post-1431-1192999785.png?width=400

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE(Yen @ Nov 1 2007, 09:03 AM)

It seems you've made some changes, but they didn't really help.

Is there any chance of asking the IPB people about this?

Unfortunatly you can only assign one character encoding per forum installation. So I'm afraid it's not possible. The other option is to change the translation to use a non-encoded format. I don't have that translation. In other words, it may be possible with some effort to get a solution but I don't have time.

In that case, don't bother. I think getting a real community will be hard and take time, but I wanted to do an initial test to see what the reaction is. It's not something which is worth putting too much effort into at the moment.

Thanks for trying.