ALICE Anyone?

Mache

I came across an interesting lecture series. This lecture is a 10 part video on youtube and happens to be the last lecture of Randy Pausch, who has terminal Pancreatic Cancer. In short, "truly inspirational" and have not seen something like this in long time now. The link below is to 1st part, But you can find the rest by clicking on incidental links on Youtube site

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HqdnjgkExY

Furthur exploring, discovered ALICE about whom Randy talks about in the lecture. You think LabVIEW should tie up with ALICE to become a fore-runner for teaching programming to Students?

http://www.alice.org/

Fo what it is worth ALICE looks like a cool toy to play with!

Mache

Very far from the LV model, but I would have to say the best example of an "easy to program" language. Even better than LV.

Of course w/ lack of thought into the programming of something, so goes the ability to troubleshoot, extend, and re-use.

But for those just getting into programming, it's a way to keep them interested

Some lessons from Randy Pausch’s last lecture that especially moved me:

1. Brick walls are there for a reason: they let us prove how badly we want things.

2. Experience is what you get when you didn’t get what you wanted.

3. Never lose the child-like wonder.

4. If we do something which is pioneering, we will get arrows in the back. But at the end of the day, a whole lot of people will have a whole lot of fun.

5. Be good at something; it makes you valuable.

6. If you live your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself, and the dreams will come to you.

Check out the tribute quiz on the lecture at www.mystudiyo.com : you can add your own questions at the end of the quiz.

Sara