Limit to Single Line, setting is vs. Property Node

Hello all,

1) When do you know that a RMB selection check marked will work in an EXE?

2) There a RMB setting for Limit to Single Line, and also the Property Node, LimitSgLine. Set that to True. Same thing. ... but which one is "safer"? The Property Node's help says it's avalable in the RunTime Engine. So there, I feel safer it'll get set and stay that way. Plus it's more explicit when reading the code.

3) When the help for a given function/node/invoke etc. says it's "Available in Run-Time Engine", does that ALWAYS mean it will work in an EXE?

Thanks!

Richard

(RMB = Right Mouse Button)

QUOTE(BrokenArrow @ Nov 8 2007, 10:25 PM)

1) When do you know that a RMB selection check marked will work in an EXE?

2) There a RMB setting for Limit to Single Line, and also the Property Node, LimitSgLine. Set that to True. Same thing. ... but which one is "safer"? The Property Node's help says it's avalable in the RunTime Engine. So there, I feel safer it'll get set and stay that way. Plus it's more explicit when reading the code.

These are all essentially properties of the object (in this case the string control). You can change them either through the UI or programmatically. Of course, if you change them and you want them to stick, you need to save the VI. Once you do that, it should work in the same in the EXE even if you don't do anything.

If you want some other examples: Displaying increment buttons in numerics, changing the browse settings on a path control, changing the properties of a graph. They should all remain the same in the EXE as they were when you saved the VI

3) When the help for a given function/node/invoke etc. says it's "Available in Run-Time Engine", does that ALWAYS mean it will work in an EXE?

It should work, barring any issues which would be unique to the executable, but I have seen some cases where the help was wrong (in both directions).

QUOTE(Yen @ Nov 9 2007, 06:58 AM)

It should work, barring any issues which would be unique to the executable, but I have seen some cases where the help was wrong (in both directions).

Ya, same here. I friend of mine took his laptop and perfectly functioning VI's to France. Upon getting there and doing the last minute changes at the customer site, his EXE didn't work but Dev mode was fine. He ended up giving his copy of LabVIEW to the customer, and the customer ran in Dev mode. He never found out why it didn't work in the EXE. It had something to do with a Strings property node - format into sting via an enum or something like that. It was ver 5.1.1.

Thanks for the response Yen. :beer:

Richard

QUOTE(BrokenArrow @ Nov 10 2007, 01:33 AM)

Upon getting there and doing the last minute changes at the customer site, his EXE didn't work but Dev mode was fine...

Could have been a localised setting (like the standard decimal separator in France is "," not ".") that didn't get copied from the LabVIEW.ini file to the built exe's .ini file?

QUOTE(crelf @ Nov 9 2007, 11:26 AM)

Could have been a localised setting (like the standard decimal separator in France is "," not ".") that didn't get copied from the LabVIEW.ini file to the built exe's .ini file?

Excellent hypothosis. No one there (where I used to work) was savy about the LabVIEW.ini file. I had to show them how to put the text in the exe's INI file so that the EXE will show 14-point fonts, so knowing that, you could be spot on.

Germany is like that too, using the comma. Wish I lived there... I'd make $5,125 and hour rather than the $5.125 that I make here. :P

QUOTE(Yen @ Nov 9 2007, 01:58 PM)

It should work, barring any issues which would be unique to the executable

Just to elaborate, I meant things which work correctly, but don't work in particular instances because of the way the executable is built or because the code does not take that fact into account. Examples would be relative paths and interacting with front panels which were not included in the executable.