Strange LV crash and open VI-Server port afterwards

Hi all,

I just had a very strange LV (8.5) crash. I was loading 2 main VIs out of 2 seperate LVprjs. During the load of the second VI LV hanged. After killing LV and trying to restart LV I got the error that the VI-Server port 3363 was in use. No other LV was running at the time. The VIs have several .dlls which are also doing TCPIP on port 31415. These ports kept open too, after killing LV. A quick netstat /a /b showed:

Proto  Lokale Adresse         Remoteadresse          Status           PID  TCP    gnomeregan:3363        gnomeregan.xxxx.de:0    ABHÖREN 3052  [System]    TCP    gnomeregan:31415       gnomeregan.xxxx.de:3451  SCHLIESSEN_WARTEN    3052  [System]  TCP    gnomeregan:31415       gnomeregan.xxxx.de:3456  SCHLIESSEN_WARTEN    3052  [System]  TCP    gnomeregan:31415       gnomeregan.xxxx.de:3455  SCHLIESSEN_WARTEN    3052  [System]  TCP    gnomeregan:31415       gnomeregan.xxxx.de:3450  SCHLIESSEN_WARTEN    3052  [System]

TCP    gnomeregan:31415       gnomeregan.xxxx.de:3452  SCHLIESSEN_WARTEN    3052
  [System]

The strange thing was, that I couldn´t find the PID 3052 (checked with taskmgr and ProcessExplorer).

Anyone seen such lost resources with no valid PID? The only fix I had was to reboot Windows (XP Pro, SP2).

Any ideas how this could have happened or where to start searching for a reason?

QUOTE(Götz Becker @ Nov 13 2007, 08:29 AM)

Hi all,

I just had a very strange LV (8.5) crash. I was loading 2 main VIs out of 2 seperate LVprjs. During the load of the second VI LV hanged. After killing LV and trying to restart LV I got the error that the VI-Server port 3363 was in use. No other LV was running at the time. The VIs have several .dlls which are also doing TCPIP on port 31415. These ports kept open too, after killing LV. A quick netstat /a /b showed:

Proto Lokale Adresse Remoteadresse Status PIDTCP gnomeregan:3363 gnomeregan.xxxx.de:0 ABHÖREN 3052[System]TCP gnomeregan:31415 gnomeregan.xxxx.de:3451 SCHLIESSEN_WARTEN 3052[System]TCP gnomeregan:31415 gnomeregan.xxxx.de:3456 SCHLIESSEN_WARTEN 3052[System]TCP gnomeregan:31415 gnomeregan.xxxx.de:3455 SCHLIESSEN_WARTEN 3052[System]TCP gnomeregan:31415 gnomeregan.xxxx.de:3450 SCHLIESSEN_WARTEN 3052[System]TCP gnomeregan:31415 gnomeregan.xxxx.de:3452 SCHLIESSEN_WARTEN 3052[System]

The strange thing was, that I couldn´t find the PID 3052 (checked with taskmgr and ProcessExplorer). Anyone seen such lost resources with no valid PID? The only fix I had was to reboot Windows (XP Pro, SP2).Any ideas how this could have happened or where to start searching for a reason?

Well obviously the ports were not closed properly since your application got killed. Windows does have some resource garbage collection that will usually close all resources that were made on behalf of an application when that application leaves the building. For some reasons the manner of how the LabVIEW application got discontinued, did somehow prevent Windows to properly garbage collect the winsock handles.

There is probably not much you can do about that except hoping you won't have to kill LabVIEW again like that.

Rolf Kalbermatter