Commands for USB device via NI-VISA

aarpay

Hi all,

I'm a novice Labview user. I have a class project: controlling a USB device with Labview. I've configured NI-VISA to list my digital camera (Panasonic DMC-LC33) as a resource, and I've even written a little VI to write a string to the device and read from it. The problem is that I don't know any USB commands that I can send to my device. Does anyone know any basic commands that work (something simple like IDN? which is a GPIB command) through USB? Thanks.

aarpay

Hi all,

I'm a novice Labview user. I have a class project: controlling a USB device with Labview. I've configured NI-VISA to list my digital camera (Panasonic DMC-LC33) as a resource, and I've even written a little VI to write a string to the device and read from it. The problem is that I don't know any USB commands that I can send to my device. Does anyone know any basic commands that work (something simple like IDN? which is a GPIB command) through USB? Thanks.

aarpay

QUOTE(aarpay @ Nov 24 2007, 03:56 PM)

Hi all,

aarpay

I doubt you'll get anywhere just shotgunning commands to your camera. Your camera is just a black box, and you are talking through a UART to a microprocessor, which is running application-specific firmware which has a known set of commands, but you'll never know them.

Be cool, stay in school.

Richard

QUOTE(aarpay @ Nov 24 2007, 12:56 PM)

Does anyone know any basic commands that work (something simple like IDN? which is a GPIB command) through USB? Thanks.

Try contacting the manufacturer. Most camera manufacturers have a software development kit (SDK) available for people who are interested. It usually consists of a DLL that you can call to send commands to the camera. If you explain that it is for a school project they might not even charge you anything for it.