Yet another problem with Read from Spreadsheet File

Ascen

Hello..

I'm trying to read MATLAB-saved tab-separated ASCII files into 2-d double arrays,

and while in theory the use of Read From Spreadsheet File seems straightforward,

it for some reason only uses the first significant digit of each number. I've tried

playing around with the formattings (%f instead of default %.3f, %d, %.20f, everything..).

What is the very basic thing I am missing here:

ssheet_fp.jpg

ssheet_bd.jpg

The input data looks like

0.0000000000000000e+000 2.8400000000000000e+002 1.6530000000000000e+003 5.1299999999999997e+001

etc (http://www.hut.fi/~jdahlbom/extinput.txt to get the complete rows.)

What makes this even more annoying is that I've followed the instructions given at this NI site and still

can't get it to work. (The command issued in MATLAB having been 'save extinput.txt datax -ascii -double -tabs')

Thanks for the help in advance!

QUOTE(Ascen @ Nov 29 2007, 09:06 AM)

I'm trying to read MATLAB-saved tab-separated ASCII files into 2-d double arrays,

and while in theory the use of Read From Spreadsheet File seems straightforward,

it for some reason only uses the first significant digit of each number. I've tried

playing around with the formattings (%f instead of default %.3f, %d, %.20f, everything..).

What is the very basic thing I am missing here:

LabVIEW is trying to read the data from the input file in a localized format. I.e. it's looking for "XXX,XXXX" instead of "XXX.XXXX".

If you add the text

%.;

to the front of the format string, e.g.

%.;%f

then I think it will work. The %.; tells LabVIEW to look for the . as a decimal separator.

EDIT: Fixed an error. I had the wrong localization specifier before.

QUOTE(Justin Goeres @ Nov 29 2007, 06:14 PM)

LabVIEW is trying to read the data from the input file in a localized format. I.e. it's looking for "XXX,XXXX" instead of "XXX.XXXX".

If you add the text

%.;

to the front of the format string, e.g.

%.;%f

then I think it will work. The %.; tells LabVIEW to look for the . as a decimal separator.

EDIT: Fixed an error. I had the wrong localization specifier before.

Heh, thanks a ton for your help, it's working just like it should right now.

Was about to mention that it needed %.; instead of %,; but you beat me to it.