Visa Resource Name Hangs terribly..plz help

HI guys! I was using Labview 8.1 initially. Then i installed Labview 8.2 20th Anniversary edition. Im facing two major problems here. 1) Whenever i use Serial communications and i press on the drop down button of my Visa Resource Name control in order to select the appropriate COM port, the system gets hangs and i have to shutoff my Labview through ctrl+alt+del. Due to this problem , im just unable to select the right COM port for my program. I dint face this problem in 8.1 2) When i right click on any control lets say KNOB and click on its properties. It starts searching something in different folders of my Labview Installation and after taking quite some time, it displays its properties. I dont know why is it doing so? Again this wasnt the problem when i was using 8.1 version of Labview. i would like to bring into the knowledge of you people that 8.1 is still installed on my pc. I dint reinstall it. I just install 8.2, i thought it will upgrade it but the National instruments entry in the "add remove programs" of control panel shows that 8.1 is still there along with 8.2. So is this causing all these problems? Kindly help me as soon as possible! Thanks in advance!

There's no 8.1. From your profile I assume you mean 8.0.1.

There shouldn't be any problem with having 8.0.1 and 8.2 on the same computer at the same time.

If you've just installed 8.2, I suggest you try doing a system restore (Start>>Accessories>>System Tools) to before you installed it and then install it again, because what you are seeing is definitely not normal.

QUOTE(Shaiq Bashir @ Dec 4 2007, 02:33 AM)

Assuming you are using XP, make sure that the folder

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\National Instruments\NIvisa

exists. I have had several upgraded computers with VISA problems because the upgrade is missing this required folder.

QUOTE(Shaiq Bashir @ Dec 4 2007, 02:33 AM)

When i right click on any control lets say KNOB and click on its properties. It starts searching something in different folders of my Labview Installation and after taking quite some time, it displays its properties. I dont know why is it doing so? Again this wasnt the problem when i was using 8.1 version of Labview. i would like to bring into the knowledge of you people that 8.1 is still installed on my pc. I dint reinstall it. I just install 8.2, i thought it will upgrade it but the National instruments entry in the "add remove programs" of control panel shows that 8.1 is still there along with 8.2. So is this causing all these problems? Kindly help me as soon as possible!

Hmm. Maybe you can try renaming your LabVIEW 8.0.1 folder and then Mass-compiling your VI.lib folder. Some of the VIs internal to LabVIEW (running the properties pages) may have been linked to the older 8.0.1 VIs. Just a guess.