Extracting VI Names from EXE

I want to make a splash screen that shows a progress bar as all the VIs in my program load. I can do this easily during development by using the List Directory VI to get an array of VI names and then use a for loop to create a reference to each one (thus loading it into memory). I use the iteration terminal of the for loop to drive the progress bar and I can display the VI name if I want to. See attachment.

My problem is how to make this work once the application is built. Is there a way to extract the VI names from the EXE in LV8.5?

post-8758-1197317118.png?width=400

You don't need to place all VIs within the executable but you can also add VIs outside the executable into one or more support folder. If this is not a problems for you, then you can add your VIs you need to list into a support folder and list the content of that folder. I'm not sure if the content of LabVIEW executable is listable. If it is, there is no guarantee that it will remain such in future LabVIEW versions. So to play safe, you shouldn't rely on listing the content of the executable. Another thing you can do is to store the names of the VIs within the executable into an external file. Then use this file to get the list of the VIs in the executable.

QUOTE(Tomi Maila @ Dec 10 2007, 12:22 PM)

You don't need to place all VIs within the executable but you can also add VIs outside the executable into one or more support folder. If this is not a problems for you, then you can add your VIs you need to list into a support folder and list the content of that folder.

That worked great. Thanks for the suggestion :thumbup: .