How to get my computer's ID

QUOTE(Cool-LV @ Dec 11 2007, 10:57 PM)

Hi all,

How to get my computer's ID(not ipconfig /all to the MAC address), the function likes NI Lisence Manager, computer ID item function ? how NI to do ? thanks !

NI didn't do it. They just bought the Macrovision FlexLM source code license and use that one. I've had a look at that code at some time. It is not a piece of C code anyone would want to dig into and make modifications to. Very convoluted, complicated and all in all unmaintainable IMHO.

Means you try to compile it and hope it works and once it does leave your fingers from it. It's also sad that around 1MB of the LabVIEW executable concists of this FlexLM code. LabVIEW itself does in 1MB assembly code a lot more and a lot more useful stuff.

FlexLM supposedly takes some specific machine parameters such as the HD serial, CPU ID, MAC adress etc. etc. and using some hash algoritmes calculates such IDs.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE(rolfk @ Dec 12 2007, 08:57 AM)

NI didn't do it. They just bought the Macrovision FlexLM source code license and use that one. I've had a look at that code at some time. It is not a piece of C code anyone would want to dig into and make modifications to. Very convoluted, complicated and all in all unmaintainable IMHO.

Means you try to compile it and hope it works and once it does leave your fingers from it. It's also sad that around 1MB of the LabVIEW executable concists of this FlexLM code. LabVIEW itself does in 1MB assembly code a lot more and a lot more useful stuff.

FlexLM supposedly takes some specific machine parameters such as the HD serial, CPU ID, MAC adress etc. etc. and using some hash algoritmes calculates such IDs.

Rolf Kalbermatter

thanks all, I've got more tips from Rolf,

namely, it is very difficult to reach the goal ?!! are there Macrovision FlexLM ActiveX component to call ?

QUOTE(Cool-LV @ Dec 12 2007, 08:36 PM)

thanks all, I've got more tips from Rolf,

namely, it is very difficult to reach the goal ?!! are there Macrovision FlexLM ActiveX component to call ?

I'm not sure they have an ActiveX component. The entire SDK is completely written in C without any traces of C++ or whatsover. And Macrovision wants to see money from anyone using their FlexLM solutions. Not likely that they will give a a free to use FlexLM ActiveX control to call.

But I could be wrong. I only looked into this some time ago for a client who wanted to have his software application protected.

It's probably easier to check out Microsofts MSDN site and look for their licensing API. Although they do not document all details, they do allow use of this API from other applications. Maybe that you can retrieve the machine ID from there somehow. Just be aware that this machine ID is in fact an arbitrary ID compiled together from an arbitrary selection of machine identification parameters. So this ID will always only work in comparison to the software that created it, meaning a machine ID computed by FlexLM is something that should be considered completely different than one computed by the MS Licensning API.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE(Cool-LV @ Dec 14 2007, 11:29 AM)

Thanks Rolf, appreciate your help very much and I would like to share with you below FlexLM source which I searched <link removed>

Post reported to Moderator - I don't know where you got this, but I don't think that LAVA is an appropriate place to put a link to it.

QUOTE(Cool-LV @ Dec 13 2007, 08:29 PM)

Thanks Rolf, appreciate your help very much

and I would like to share with you below FlexLM source which I searched

[link removed by moderator]

Don't do that! This source code is protected by copyright laws and NDAs. Either you got it as illegal copy from internet and then are not allowed to use it or look at it or under an NDA which you would just have preached by making it available for download.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE(rolfk @ Dec 14 2007, 06:52 AM)

Don't do that! This source code is protected by copyright laws and NDAs. Either you got it as illegal copy from internet and then are not allowed to use it or look at it or under an NDA which you would just have preached by making it available for download.

Rolf Kalbermatter

I just type key word "FlexLM" at Google search, and get it. anyway, sorry to put the link here.