Adding XNodes to LabVIEW Classes

Has anyone out there succeded in adding an XNode to a LabVIEW class ?

Ideally I'd like to write an XNode that accesses some private methods of a class, so it would need to be part of the class. As a work around I can just change the scope of the private method to public, but it isn't as elegant...

QUOTE(Gavin Burnell @ Jan 8 2008, 12:07 PM)

Has anyone out there succeded in adding an XNode to a LabVIEW class ?

I don't think it's possible to get XNodes to even work with LabVIEW classes. LabVIEW simply crashes when a class type wire in connected to an XNode. At least this is my experience. Do you have some knowledge that would allow using XNodes with LabVIEW classes? I would really love to use XNodes with LabVIEW classes.

QUOTE(Tomi Maila @ Jan 8 2008, 10:55 AM)

I don't think it's possible to get XNodes to even work with LabVIEW classes. LabVIEW simply crashes when a class type wire in connected to an XNode. At least this is my experience. Do you have some knowledge that would allow using XNodes with LabVIEW classes? I would really love to use XNodes with LabVIEW classes.

Hmmm, yes I hadn't fully appreciated the weirdness that a combination of XNodes and Classes can give - I just tried to use one of my Array XNodes with an array of objects and whilst it claims that the output is an array of objects like it should, I can't then index the output array. Seriously strange !

QUOTE(Gavin Burnell @ Jan 8 2008, 06:10 PM)

Hmmm, yes I hadn't fully appreciated the weirdness that a combination of XNodes and Classes can give

What is the word for "the opposite of interoperable"? I can't think of it right now. But whatever that word is, it applies to XNodes and LVClasses. They don't work well together. They don't play well together. Hell, they won't even go out to a bar and complain about the weather together. What they will do together is pace off 10, turn and shoot each other in the head, generally killing any LabVIEW.exe process that happens to be in the vicinity.

Never forget -- XNodes have never been released. They don't officially exist. Specific XNodes have been designed, tested and certified to work in specific situations. The general technology is unstable for a host of reasons. And LabVIEW classes push all of the boundaries of those instabilities.

It's being addressed, but given that XNodes are a pure NI-internal feature, it really isn't a priority (from a business standpoint) at all to make the two features work together.

Caveat empor.

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Jan 9 2008, 07:02 AM)

I'll settle for "immiscible" ;)

QUOTE(Aristos Queue @ Jan 9 2008, 07:02 AM)

Caveat empor.

Well, it's like those medieval maps that marked large areas at the edge of the known world with "here be dragons and all manner of strange beasts" - if you sail your ship there and it gets eaten by a sea-serpant you can't sue the map maker (!)