Recommend Hardware to Control this Motor

dsch

I have a solenoid valve with a 9 pin D connector. Power is 12VDC, another pin is digital (TTL), another is analog (0-5VDC). I would like to to use Labview to create a program to manipulate this valve.

Has anyone gone through this before? Can someone recommend a reasonable controller that labview has drivers for? Ideal scenario would be a pci card. My searches haven't been successful and this isn't yet my expertise.

-TIA

QUOTE(dsch @ Jan 19 2008, 07:56 PM)

I have a solenoid valve with a 9 pin D connector. Power is 12VDC, another pin is digital (TTL), another is analog (0-5VDC). I would like to to use Labview to create a program to manipulate this valve.

Has anyone gone through this before? Can someone recommend a reasonable controller that labview has drivers for? Ideal scenario would be a pci card. My searches haven't been successful and this isn't yet my expertise.

-TIA

From what you describe, you're going to be soldering up a cable. Have you tried looking at National Instruments' website? They sell hardware as well as LabVIEW.

QUOTE(Tim_S @ Jan 20 2008, 06:00 AM)

From what you describe, you're going to be soldering up a cable. Have you tried looking at National Instruments' website? They sell hardware as well as LabVIEW.

So it look like I'm going to need to splice a cable to make this work. I have found some PCI DAQ cards that I think will work, including NI ones. Does anyone know a card that would supply the power (12VDC) or do I have to supply that separately?

QUOTE(dsch @ Jan 20 2008, 10:25 PM)

I have found some PCI DAQ cards........supply the power (12VDC) or do I have to supply that separately?

If the project is just for fun and experimentation purposes, the simplest hardware solution I can think of is

- separate 12 V power supply

- NI USB DAQ device

If it is a part of bigger system under development,

- NI PCI DAQ device will be a better option

I hope this helps.

ALL THE BEST!

- Ashish

This will be part of a bigger system. I'm not sure the PCI DAQ cards are capable of supplying 12VDC. Do I use the analog output? That's only 10 volts max on the cards.

Here's one of the cards I was looking at.

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/201612

QUOTE(ashishuttarwar @ Jan 21 2008, 11:59 AM)

If the project is just for fun and experimentation purposes, the simplest hardware solution I can think of is

- separate 12 V power supply

- NI USB DAQ device

If it is a part of bigger system under development,

- NI PCI DAQ device will be a better option

I hope this helps.

ALL THE BEST!

- Ashish

QUOTE(dsch @ Jan 21 2008, 04:12 PM)

You'll have to use a separate +12VDC power supply. I wouldn't try powering anything from an analog output as I doubt it has sufficient current capacity nor does it go to your 12 volts. The card has the pieces you mentioned.

One thing you may want to make sure of is that the valve you're using has the proper electrical isolation to protect your DAQ card and PC. From what I've seen, most manufacturers are assuming their equipment will attach to a PC nowadays rather than something significantly more rugged.