Software Engineering Approach to LabVIEW

_G_

As many of you may know, this book originally had readable diagrams and then a subsequent printing had diagrams which were blurry to the point of being useless.

I contacted Prentice-Hall and was told, rather unconvincingly, that the issue was cleared up. I wanted to buy several copies of this book for our group but am curious if anyone has bought it recently (say in the last year or so).

Thanks, Rick

QUOTE(_G_ @ Feb 19 2008, 06:49 PM)

As many of you may know, this book originally had readable diagrams and then a subsequent printing had diagrams which were blurry to the point of being useless.

I contacted Prentice-Hall and was told, rather unconvincingly, that the issue was cleared up. I wanted to buy several copies of this book for our group but am curious if anyone has bought it recently (say in the last year or so).

Thanks, Rick

the print has very bad quality. but i got with it the electronic version, and it is very well organised there. figures are much better, but not all at the adequate size.

Amazon.com lists a very recent printing run that I have not seen, so it might be true that the print issue has been cleared up. You might try asking your local Borders Books to order one for you. Double check that their policy hasn't changed, but the last time I had an issue like this, Borders had a policy that allowed you to request them to custom order a book and didn't obligate you to actually purchase it if you decided it wasn't what you wanted.

-- Stephen

QUOTE(crelf @ Feb 19 2008, 02:09 PM)

I love the title of chapter 2: "LabVIEW Rocks", but am not so keen on the title of chapter 1.1: "LabVIEW Sucks" :D

But Chris, do you have a recent copy? If so, are the diagrams ok?

I do agree that title ch 1.1 has been a turn-off for some of the audience here, if for no other reason than the language. All told I think it is a great book for demonstrating the use of components and the principles of cohesion and coupling.

Thanks, Rick

I have a copy acquired in the last six months or so that replaced one that I loaned to a colleague. He had an unfortunate incident with a diet soda, I believe, and he graciously replaced my original. The diagrams in this printing, while I would not call them "Art Book" quality (well, I really wouldn't call them even "Comic Book" quality) are readable and the book is useable.

Mark

This book was purchased for our group about 6 months ago with a copyright of 2003. All the diagrams & print are readable in the book and all examples are available for download. Interesting to note the authors no longer recommend the book because of the printing issues. I highly recommend this book for indivuduals looking to program Labview from a consulting perspective.

Chapter 1.1 Labview Sucks, is one of my favorite parts of this book as it describes the the "conversion" process of programming text based languagues to G based language of Labview.

If you are looking for a book that provides clever solutions to problems this is not the book for you. If you are looking for building a good foundation to programming in general this is the book for you.

QUOTE(_G_ @ Feb 19 2008, 10:49 AM)

Thanks, Rick

• 4 weeks later...