Pervious post quote *not* in replies by default

Is it possible to turn off the feature that automatically posts the text of a previous post when replying to it? For example: take a look at this post - I don't think that there's any value for the whole previous post to be included in the reply, and I think it would be more intuitive if it wasn't there by default when sending a reply, but instead you could put it there by pressing a button (just like the

post-181-1205852278.png?width=400

button on the NI Forums).

Note to Members: even if you do want to include a quote from a previous post, I don't think it makes much sense to include the whole thing. Please take the extra 5 seconds to remove all the superfluous commentary that doesn't have any context with your reply.

QUOTE (crelf @ Mar 18 2008, 11:00 AM)

In the post crelf referenced, there are many entries above and below. To reply without quoting, you need to scroll to the top or bottom of the set to select 'Reply'. It's easier to reply where you are reading than to scroll up/down. I've always used the p_quote.gif and then immediately delete all the text (unless I want to "quote someone" like crelf :P ).

The 'tip' for the p_quote.gif button indicates that the reply is to that specific entry

post-949-1205860581.png?width=400

I think replying to a specific post has value when using the threaded mode, but that hasn't worked so well and is essentially disabled (although threaded mode does show up now and then on my home computer).

Maybe placing a t_reply.gif in front of the p_mq_add.gif and p_quote.gif buttons would reduce the "noise". I don't really use or see the value of the t_qr.gif button.

There are four options here. Pick which one applies to your situation and use it. If you want to rearrange the position of buttons or rename them then we can discuss that but basically everything you could want is already there for you. Also, compared to NI Forums, LAVA has essentially the same functionality plus a few more. I don't have time right now to give a detailed description of each option. I'll do that later tonight.

QUOTE (Michael_Aivaliotis @ Mar 18 2008, 11:17 AM)

Thanks - I didn't even see those down there.

QUOTE (Phillip Brooks @ Mar 18 2008, 12:29 PM)

Maybe placing a ... in front of the ... and ... buttons would reduce the "noise".

Thanks for the clarification Phillip. I agree that it would be more intuative to have a small t_reply.gif next to the p_quote.gif

QUOTE (Michael_Aivaliotis @ Mar 18 2008, 12:45 PM)

There are four options here. Pick which one applies to your situation and use it.

Got it - thanks.