Labview and Xbox

Fubu

Hi

I´m creating an aplication with labview and I need to use a ugitar hero controller or an xbox 360 controller. The controller already works in windows vista but it is recognized as a Human Interface Device HID.

I have only use the usb ports in labview as COM (serial) ports and I do not know how to get data from de controller. I need to know the packet the controller or the guitar is sending to the computer.

I hope that some one already have a program that can do this or maybe someone has an idea how could I achieve it.

Are there any libraries for USB or any tutorials?

Thanks

QUOTE (Fubu @ Apr 9 2008, 11:46 PM)

Hi

I´m creating an aplication with labview and I need to use a ugitar hero controller or an xbox 360 controller. The controller already works in windows vista but it is recognized as a Human Interface Device HID.

I have only use the usb ports in labview as COM (serial) ports and I do not know how to get data from de controller. I need to know the packet the controller or the guitar is sending to the computer.

I hope that some one already have a program that can do this or maybe someone has an idea how could I achieve it.

Are there any libraries for USB or any tutorials?

Thanks

There is probably no way around some external code interfacing through the Call Library Node and possibly even wrapping something up in an external C wrapper DLL.

Possible pointers could be libusb, an Open source C library originally from Unix to communicate with USB devices and usbhidioc, a C source code example how to access HID devices in Windows.

Looking for these two search terms in Google should bring you some good pages. Although not many of them with ready made LabVIEW solutions.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Disclaimer: I know nothing about this stuff. I passed your query along to other NI R&D staff who do. This is the reply I got.

If folks want to control HW in LV, they generally have 2 options:

(1) have a driver for their HW. Use the driver, generally through DLL calls

(2) use NI-VISA to bit bang devices from user mode

Here are some webpages explaining how to use NI-VISA to control HID USB devices in LabVIEW.

"USB Instrument Control Tutorial"

"USB RAW Control Communication in LabVIEW"

HID issue "Why Won't Windows Install The VISA Driver For My USB Device?"

"Using HID Compliant Devices with VISA Driver Development Wizard"

But Vista is special: "How Do I Communicate with My HID Compliant USB RAW Device in Windows Vista?"

Hope it helps.