Generic IP over Ethernet generator

I'm attempting to test a network protocol analyzer and need to build an app that sends formed and malformed XXX/IP over Ethernet packets.

Has anyone generated a generic Layer 1/2 packet using LabVIEW exclusively such that specific values for the Ethernet MAC header and IP header, etc can be all dynamically set or written a LV wrapper around say Winpcap functions?

All I see in LabVIEW is the lame Layer 4 TCP/UDP functions. My collegues are attempting to push me away from LabVIEW saying it is too high level of a language for "real" programming.

Please help me prove them wrong...

Thanks,

Billy T

Yen, hey thanks for the lead, looks promising actually...I'll try it on Monday indeed. I didn't think about searching NI's website...doh!

Yes also "real" was intended to imply low level network programming. There is no question LabVIEW rocks for high level automation/command/control/etc Rolls Royce style as you say...I just need a unicycle to get a simple packet or 2 out ;)

QUOTE (billyt @ Apr 12 2008, 11:12 PM)

Yen, hey thanks for the lead, looks promising actually...I'll try it on Monday indeed. I didn't think about searching NI's website...doh!

Yes also "real" was intended to imply low level network programming. There is no question LabVIEW rocks for high level automation/command/control/etc Rolls Royce style as you say...I just need a unicycle to get a simple packet or 2 out ;)

Well they probably are of those kind who think anything but C programming is to high of a level :-) and assembly programming is the real thing. And they might be right in certain areas. After all you don't use a normal comfort car for off road driving, but on the other hand an old jeep with unsynchronized gear shift really sucks for normal street traffic :rolleyes: and lets be fair how much of off road driving do most of us here do?

Rolf Kalbermatter