NI OPC Server version 5.1 (Industrial Automation OPC Server 5.1)

Hi,

My project requires an OPC server to communicate with a Direct Logic PLC (DL230). I am unable to locate any tutorials on how to do this. I have all the required programs.....Measurement and Automation, Industrial and Automation OPC server 5.1 and Labview 8.5. Basically I am looking just to control outputs on the PLC with toggle switches; just something easy for now. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you! My email address is genroymad@yahoo.com

I haven't really used it much, so I don't remember the details, but this might help. It's probably wrong, but it's how I remember it:

1. Start the IA server software.
  2. Create a new file (I don't even remember the extension).
  3. Add your device to it. I think this is done through an option in the edit menu.
  4. When you select the option, you get a list of supported devices. You then need to select the one matching yours (I think the DL205 should work for you) and then you get the option to configure its exact settings (port, baud rate, protocol settings, etc.).
  5. After you do that, you need to save the file and then, if memory serves, you need to connect to it using the tag engine (at least that was in 7.x, it might work differently in 8.x with the variable manager).

I haven't really used it much, so I don't remember the details, but this might help. It's probably wrong, but it's how I remember it:

1. Start the IA server software.
  2. Create a new file (I don't even remember the extension).
  3. Add your device to it. I think this is done through an option in the edit menu.
  4. When you select the option, you get a list of supported devices. You then need to select the one matching yours (I think the DL205 should work for you) and then you get the option to configure its exact settings (port, baud rate, protocol settings, etc.).
  5. After you do that, you need to save the file and then, if memory serves, you need to connect to it using the tag engine (at least that was in 7.x, it might work differently in 8.x with the variable manager).

Thanks Yen. Yeah, that much I know, but it's not letting me go any further after (what you said in step 4) because it wants a PLC address. What the heck is a PLC address and where can I find it? lol

Usually, devices on a network (e.g. an RS 485 network) have an address identifying them. In this case, I assume the address is either a Modbus address or an address for a proprietary protocol. The address itself is defined in the device, but exactly how depends on the device and the protocol. Looking through the documentation should help.

In any case, using 01 usually works. :laugh:

Yen, thanks. Now that you gave me that remember. Duh, 1 for the PLC addy. Thanks, again.....That takes care of part of my problem. Now I need to establish communication through Labview to my PLC. Like Data binding and data socket in Labview so Labview recognizes the path to the PLC.........New territory for me. If you remember that would be a huge push.

Thanks, rolf

I appreciate your input. But I want to keep it simple. Although I have taken an in depth course of Labview, I'm not quite getting what you are saying, sadly. Anyway, I have downloaded your file and will eventually take a look at it, but it's not what I am looking for at the time.

Jim

You can read tags from an OPC server either by using Datasocket or by using the DSC VIs. Searching for OPC in the example finder and on NI's site should provide some results.

I suppose it's also possible you can bind a control directly to an OPC tag, but I'm not sure about that one. Binding is done by right clicking the control and selecting the relevant option from the data operations or advanced menu, I can't remember which.

Thanks Yen! I think I found out my problem. I do not have an OPC lookout driver installed when I try binding the controls of the PLC with IA OPC Server 5.1--sometimes not having the right stuff can be a headache. Not to mention, being able to obtain the stuff you need without breaking the bank. Anywho, I did notice an DsOPC server that comes with my Direct Logic software that I was able to bind with some toggle switches, so I might just take this route instead because the OPC client is easier to obtain. It appears the server is communicating with Labview, but not with the PLC. I guess there are usually 4 parts to this type of system, and don't quote me on this, in order for the system to work. The application; the OPC server; the OPC client and, of course, the PLC or whatever. I think I only have 3 parts....Yes this will end up driving me insane before you know it, but I have learned a lot. I just hope I learn it completely.