LAVACR SVN repository on Google Code (Read Me First)

QUOTE (Michael_Aivaliotis @ Apr 22 2008, 04:13 PM)

I don't think LV bugfix releases should be included. Mainly because bugfixes are supported by the major.minor released run-time engine. The revisions should be in the form: 7.0.x, 7.1.x, 8.0.x, 8.2.x, 8.5.x.

BTW Gavin, it's great to see your initiative in this!

Gavin, I've moved your code into the 8.5.x folder and created additional folders for the other LV versions.

Michael,

I am looking around in Google Code and I have yet to come up with a search, or find any pick, tab, link, or any intsructions on where any lavacr code is. I gather that Gavin put some things in that like "rusty nails" or v 8.5.1. I haven't happened upon the right lucky charm to bring that up. I must not have the referents to work this out easily. Hints?

Mike

QUOTE (tcplomp @ Apr 23 2008, 01:44 PM)

Thanks!

I guess the intention is NOT to use the WIKI function at gcode lavacr and to use instead the LAVA cr forum instead for discussing?

The gcode accounts will funcition as a storage and librarian utilities for works in progress and not much more?

Mike

QUOTE (mross @ Apr 23 2008, 11:02 AM)

This is evolving. Not sure about the final form. The lavacr project on Google code is there to provide source code control. This is the same as sourceforge, but LAVA likes Google code better. Are you familiar with SVN? SVN is a source code control backend. In order to edit and put code into SVN, you need a client. On the Windows platform, the best one out there is Tortoise SVN. TortoiseSVN needs to know the URL to point to the source folder. This is provided here. Then, once you have your local copy of the code checked out, you can then edit the code and commit back. I can go into more detail if you like but there is an assumption that you are familiar with SVN and using source code repositories. Ask a question and I will try to answer.

Google code provides issue trackers which we can use for specific bugs or feature requests on the code. I think that's fine however discussions on the new features or the code in general should happen on the LAVA forums because there are more eyes over here.

Edit: One addition thing to mention. If you just want to add code. At a minimum, you should tell someone about it. I think starting a thread on the forums with something like: "hey, I just added some 7.1 code under a folder called joe's code" what do y'all think, etc...". Hopefully it will be a little more than that but you get the idea. Otherwise, noone will know it exists.

QUOTE (Michael_Aivaliotis @ Apr 23 2008, 02:50 PM)

This is evolving. Not sure about the final form. The lavacr project on Google code is there to provide source code control. This is the same as sourceforge, but LAVA likes Google code better. Are you familiar with SVN? SVN is a source code control backend. In order to edit and put code into SVN, you need a client. On the Windows platform, the best one out there is Tortoise SVN. TortoiseSVN needs to know the URL to point to the source folder. This is provided here. Then, once you have your local copy of the code checked out, you can then edit the code and commit back. I can go into more detail if you like but there is an assumption that you are familiar with SVN and using source code repositories. Ask a question and I will try to answer.

Google code provides issue trackers which we can use for specific bugs or feature requests on the code. I think that's fine however discussions on the new features or the code in general should happen on the LAVA forums because there are more eyes over here.

Edit: One addition thing to mention. If you just want to add code. At a minimum, you should tell someone about it. I think starting a thread on the forums with something like: "hey, I just added some 7.1 code under a folder called joe's code" what do y'all think, etc...". Hopefully it will be a little more than that but you get the idea. Otherwise, noone will know it exists.

Thanks. You seem to be guessing very well. I haven't a clue about SVN, so I may indeed be asking for help.

I have always wanted a place to put the tidbits I write to help people (sometimes years later I want them and they are on some old defunct box sent to on the production floor to do Excel duty or in some hard drive now at the bottom of a landfill), and since I am not usually interested in meeting the C-R standards I thought this might be useful. I had the impression from an earlier forum conversations that this might be one of the functions you envisioned for this. Also I am just curious what Google is up to here. I have found uses for a lot of their bits and gadgets.

Finally, I presume there is a long tail for stuff given to Google for safekeeping. Maybe this way I don't have to worry about transferring it from new PC to new PC, backing up, and so on. It is an act of faith, but I am hoping someone who wants to organize all of human knowledge can do the little bit that I want.

Mike

QUOTE (mross @ Apr 23 2008, 03:21 PM)

Thanks. You seem to be guessing very well. I haven't a clue about SVN, so I may indeed be asking for help.

I have always wanted a place to put the tidbits I write to help people (sometimes years later I want them and they are on some old defunct box sent to on the production floor to do Excel duty or in some hard drive now at the bottom of a landfill), and since I am not usually interested in meeting the C-R standards I thought this might be useful. I had the impression from an earlier forum conversations that this might be one of the functions you envisioned for this. Also I am just curious what Google is up to here. I have found uses for a lot of their bits and gadgets.

Finally, I presume there is a long tail for stuff given to Google for safekeeping. Maybe this way I don't have to worry about transferring it from new PC to new PC, backing up, and so on. It is an act of faith, but I am hoping someone who wants to organize all of human knowledge can do the little bit that I want.

Mike

Michael,

I am good to go now. Thanks for the pointers. I don't know how many SVN newbies you will get for this, but some short and sweet info on the project home page like you gave me might go a long way.

Mike

Mike

QUOTE (mross @ Apr 23 2008, 02:10 PM)

Michael,

I am good to go now. Thanks for the pointers. I don't know how many SVN newbies you will get for this, but some short and sweet info on the project home page like you gave me might go a long way.

Mike

Mike

Ya, I agree. Coming. In the meantime, I'm glad to see you figured it out. I already downloaded your code.