Accessing USB FLASH DRIVE and it .dat file content

QUOTE (rejgina @ Apr 24 2008, 11:38 AM)

Hi guys, Good day!I have a problem.. I'm a new programmer of Labview. how can i access the USB FLASH DRIVE and the .dat file content by using the Labview.Hope you can help me. Thanks! Kind Regards,rejgina :lightbulb:

If your USB drive is (for example) installed as "E:", then a simple file open with E:\YourFilePath.dat should do it.

Do you need to know which Drive letter is assigned? You can get the drives by listing the Directories without specifying a path. You can then try to get the label anme of each one to find the USB drive you require...... (theory)

Ah, I just tried doing what I'm proposing, but I don't know how to get the Volume label from the Volume letter...... There's no "Get Volume Label" function.

It would be possible via a DOS Batch file or something, but I don't think there's a built-in LV function for it.

I looked under LV 8.20.

Shane.

Hi Shane,

Thank you for your reply...

I think I didn't explain right the question..

First I have a file (Myfile.dat) and it is constantly inserted... (E:\Myfile.dat)

What I need to do is to detect if the flash drive is already inserted so that I can read the file(E:\Myfile.dat) and then proceed to the testing..

I have read here taht i need to have awhile loop until the value for example set to true meaning it is inserted... But its oo complicated.. can you help me? Thanks!

rejgina :lightbulb:

QUOTE (rejgina @ Apr 28 2008, 12:18 AM)

Hi Shane,

Thank you for your reply...

I think I didn't explain right the question..

First I have a file (Myfile.dat) and it is constantly inserted... (E:\Myfile.dat)

What I need to do is to detect if the flash drive is already inserted so that I can read the file(E:\Myfile.dat) and then proceed to the testing..

I have read here taht i need to have awhile loop until the value for example set to true meaning it is inserted... But its oo complicated.. can you help me? Thanks!

Hi, I think the best way to check this, is to verify if the file exist. You can do it using the open/create/replace file vi. If the file exist (the USB flash memory is inserted) you will have a ZERO on the error out, but if it is not inserted you will have a SEVEN on the error out connector.

here my two cents.........

Over and out.

Norbac

QUOTE (Norbac @ Apr 29 2008, 04:58 AM)

Hi, I think the best way to check this, is to verify if the file exist. You can do it using the open/create/replace file vi. If the file exist (the USB flash memory is inserted) you will have a ZERO on the error out, but if it is not inserted you will have a SEVEN on the error out connector.

here my two cents.........

Over and out.

Norbac

Hi Norbac,

Yes i alredy do that.. But the error indicator is compose of a package the boolean the numeric and the strings? so how can i extract it to compare the numeric 7 to 0 so i can trigger my next program to proceed if read the memory stick??? thanks alot!!!

QUOTE (rejgina @ Apr 28 2008, 08:54 PM)

Hi Norbac,

Yes i alredy do that.. But the error indicator is compose of a package the boolean the numeric and the strings? so how can i extract it to compare the numeric 7 to 0 so i can trigger my next program to proceed if read the memory stick??? thanks alot!!!

Please read the introduction to LabVIEW first and then a bit about clusters, bundling and unbundling.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE (rejgina @ Apr 28 2008, 07:54 PM)

Hi Norbac,

OK, that "package" is a Cluster, you can access any of the Cluster components using the "Unbundle by Name" function, it is located on the Cluster Palete. With this function you can select, in a induvidual way, any of the components of the Cluster.

I hope this information "make a light on your way" ;)

Norbac

QUOTE (Norbac @ Apr 29 2008, 09:42 PM)

OK, that "package" is a Cluster, you can access any of the Cluster components using the "Unbundle by Name" function, it is located on the Cluster Palete. With this function you can select, in a induvidual way, any of the components of the Cluster.

I hope this information "make a light on your way" ;)

Norbac

Guys,

Thanks alot!!! I really appreciate your help... I guess i need to read alot of things.. Sorry guys, 'coz i just started this w/o any reading i just started this by the lecture of one of my colleagues and by self practice....I'm glad I found this site!!! Thanks! God Bless! ;)

Kind regards,

rejgina