Disabling Layout Update of Cluster TypeDefs

lvb

I often create typedefs that are used in various places of the front panel. One convenient technique I like is to create a classic transparent cluster, allowing me to arrange the cluster elements in any manner on the front panel. In fact, when I took the LabVIEW Intermediate course, this technique was used. The only drawback to this is if I change an element of the cluster typedef, the cluster is re-drawn on the front panel even though Autosize is set to none. IMHO, it would be nice if the cluster was not re-drawn upon adding/removing/changing data type of elements from a cluster typedef.

As of now, I know no work arounds. Please feel free to comment on your experiences with this!

Please see the attached picture for an example.

post-4274-1209147001.png?width=400

QUOTE (PaulG. @ Apr 25 2008, 03:08 PM)

What version of LV are you using? I remember having similar issues in 8.20, but I don't seem to have this problem in 8.5. I just tried what you are doing in 8.5 and it seems to be working OK for me.

I have had this problem in 8.5 and 8.5.1. I'd like to see your example where this does not occure. For my project I ended up making two type defs, one for my GUI and one for SubVIs. :angry:

QUOTE (gleichman @ Apr 25 2008, 09:59 PM)

I have had this problem in 8.5 and 8.5.1. I'd like to see your example where this does not occure. For my project I ended up making two type defs, one for my GUI and one for SubVIs. :angry:

I have also witnessed this problem with each and every version of LabVIEW I have worked with. I too find it particularly annoying.

Even worse is when any Typedef constants on the DC explode when even the smallest change to their typedef is made. I know, I know, such constants should be housed in a VI, thus avoiding this problem, but it's annoying all the same. I would really like an option of displaying constants as icons.......

Back to the original topic......

I can understand that a strict typedef would do this (Aren't strict typedefs also only allowed an "official" layout?), but why non-strict typedefs do this is kind of a mystery to me. I mean, changing the default value of an existing control ina typedef cluster should not explode each and every instance of that typedef in code.......

As usual, just my :2cents:

Shane