webcam capture

I used the LiveAcquisition_ActiveX to get it to work, and the webcam demo.vi, I can see the video in the livewindow, but how on earth do I capture it to a file? It even has a select path to store file, but apparently that only loads the file. I'm actually wanting to send it through via smtp, not sure if I should have it capture first to a file, then send, or just direct, but before I can even do that I would need it to capture.

sorry if this soundsa little, newbish.

QUOTE (raptonx @ May 1 2008, 03:40 PM)

I used the LiveAcquisition_ActiveX to get it to work, and the webcam demo.vi, I can see the video in the livewindow, but how on earth do I capture it to a file? It even has a select path to store file, but apparently that only loads the file. I'm actually wanting to send it through via smtp, not sure if I should have it capture first to a file, then send, or just direct, but before I can even do that I would need it to capture.

sorry if this sounds a little, newbish.

and the livewindow.vi gives an error saying its not a valid labview file.

It does sound newbish. Where did you get that LiveAcquistion_ActiveX from? Where is livewindow.vi? There are several public discussion forums for LabVIEW (both online and email ones), some with archived user submission libraries, a large samples repository at NI and some other collections of LabVIEW tidbits at various NI server locations too. Not to mention all the third party addons, both paid and free, from many different LabVIEW users and developers. All in all I would guess there are several 10000 downloadable LabVIEW libraries and code snippets in just the few most common places. And several of them to control webcams in one or the other way. In terms of requests for support I would guess that webcam access scores probably in the top ten but the willingness to share a full featured solution if it has been done is a lot smaller.

From your post I would guess you got this library somewhere and it has limited support of functionality. It could be that the actual ActiveX control is limited to only support live view of the webcam itself or that while it supports more only the live view has been implemented in LabVIEW so far. If it doesn't allow extracting the actual data stream from a webcam directly or sending it to a preconfigured file you will have to look for other venues to do what you want.

There are many solutions out there. Some are professional and do cost something in one or the other way, others are amateuristic and do only do one specific thing in a more or less correct way and some are just some small code snippets to show that it can be done but certainly not being meant as a drop in functionality that does everything and all one could wish.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE (rolfk @ May 2 2008, 06:58 AM)

It does sound newbish. Where did you get that LiveAcquistion_ActiveX from? Where is livewindow.vi? There are several public discussion forums for LabVIEW (both online and email ones), some with archived user submission libraries, a large samples repository at NI and some other collections of LabVIEW tidbits at various NI server locations too. Not to mention all the third party addons, both paid and free, from many different LabVIEW users and developers. All in all I would guess there are several 10000 downloadable LabVIEW libraries and code snippets in just the few most common places. And several of them to control webcams in one or the other way. In terms of requests for support I would guess that webcam access scores probably in the top ten but the willingness to share a full featured solution if it has been done is a lot smaller.

From your post I would guess you got this library somewhere and it has limited support of functionality. It could be that the actual ActiveX control is limited to only support live view of the webcam itself or that while it supports more only the live view has been implemented in LabVIEW so far. If it doesn't allow extracting the actual data stream from a webcam directly or sending it to a preconfigured file you will have to look for other venues to do what you want.

There are many solutions out there. Some are professional and do cost something in one or the other way, others are amateuristic and do only do one specific thing in a more or less correct way and some are just some small code snippets to show that it can be done but certainly not being meant as a drop in functionality that does everything and all one could wish.

Rolf Kalbermatter

I got the LiveAcquistion_ActiveX from here, its in the zip file.

http://forums.lavag.org/need-help-in-Webca...amp;mode=linear

I'm guessing I still need something to make it work properly.