Difficult to edit cell in list box during execution

I have a listbox in my VI in which I would like the user to be able to edit the cells while the code is running. Sometimes all it takes is a single click on the cell before it highlites it for editing. Most of the time though I have to click multiple times. What's going on? Should I somehow be handling the edit as an event?

I've attached a simple VI to illustrate the point.

Download File:post-2786-1211205841.vi

George

QUOTE (BrokenArrow @ May 19 2008, 11:05 AM)

For me, it is reliably letting me change values upon a Triple-Click. It never allowed me to edit upon one click.

Richard

I've played with it some more. If I'm on the line already a single click works. If I'm switching to another line a triple click works. A double click never works.

Is this known behavior? It doesn't make much sense to me.

George

QUOTE (george seifert @ May 19 2008, 12:40 PM)

I've played with it some more. If I'm on the line already a single click works. If I'm switching to another line a triple click works. A double click never works.

Is this known behavior? It doesn't make much sense to me.

George

Triple-Clicking is a known LabVIEW practice, such as when you want to select an entire string (or a a string with a space in it), or to select an entire wire plus all of its branches. However, in your scenario, I'm not sure why Triple-Clicking is necessary. Maybe the first click is simply shifting the focus and the other two clicks are selecting it.

If you can use a 2-D array rather than a list box, you'd have a lot more control over each "cell", such as, you'd be able to show the increment/decrement, and there's more property nodes to play with.

Richard

QUOTE (BrokenArrow @ May 19 2008, 01:09 PM)

Triple-Clicking is a known LabVIEW practice, such as when you want to select an entire string (or a a string with a space in it)...

Actually, it's a standard that exists outside of LabVIEW - try it by double-clicking on a word in a sentance in word or the like.

QUOTE (george seifert @ May 19 2008, 04:27 PM)

...If the line is already selected, then a single click will allow editing.

George

But with some strange timing requirement built in. If you select a cell then click too fast the second time, it'll think it's a double-click and not let you in. You have to click and wait about one second. This isn't very intuitive IMO, and I can see your lament, George.

QUOTE (BrokenArrow @ May 19 2008, 03:33 PM)

But with some strange timing requirement built in. If you select a cell then click too fast the second time, it'll think it's a double-click and not let you in. You have to click and wait about one second. This isn't very intuitive IMO, and I can see your lament, George.

It is frustrating and confusing. I suppose it's time to bring this up with NI. Thanks everyone for confirming that it happens on your system.

George

QUOTE (BrokenArrow @ May 19 2008, 04:33 PM)

Yeah, me too - I'd like to see this at least defined by NI somewhere.

This is a known issue and has been reported before. See here. If you think this behavior should change contact NI directly. Otherwise you will have to wait for Stephen to see this thread and then he has to agree with you and then he has to open a ticket. It's faster (and takes less arguing) to do it yourself. But you never know, today could be your lucky day. It usually takes at least two complaints over a span of a year or so for issues like this to get noticed by NI.