brand new user -IOTECH VI on labview 8

telamon

I'm totally new to Labview and so far i haven't figured much out. We are using VIs from IOTECH for daqboard 2000, which is hooked up to a screwboard with a million inputs and outputs. i JUST need to do something simple, read a voltage, then output a voltage in a display. I've looked at their examples and they are quite complex. It almost seems like labview 6.1 was simpler because atleast in that one i could output a voltage across two screws on the board....

ANY help is appreciated as i'm stuck in the mud and going nowhere fast.

clay

QUOTE (telamon @ Jun 9 2008, 12:27 PM)

... hooked up to a screwboard with a million inputs and outputs ...

WOW! A million?! That would be intimidating. :wacko:

Exaggeration aside, just how much do you know about LabVIEW? What will get you started is under File>New>VI>From Template>DAQ>Data Acquistion with NI-DAQmx.vi

Also, make sure you know how to find and test your hardware channels in the Measurement and Automation (MAX) explorer.

What you are trying to do does not sound that complex, but it might look like it to someone who is very unfamiliar with the LV environment.

And if you are indeed working with a very large number of inputs and outputs my personal Engineering Rule #1 states: "NOTHING is more useful than accurate documentation." :)

Yes it is intimidating, i've figured out tthat i can use iotech's premade VI to read a voltage that i input through the board

and the same for outputting a constant voltage to the board,

what's next is figuring how to edit the complex block diagram for the input so i can write the data to a file

QUOTE (telamon @ Jun 11 2008, 11:22 AM)

Yes it is intimidating, i've figured out tthat i can use iotech's premade VI to read a voltage that i input through the board

and the same for outputting a constant voltage to the board,

what's next is figuring how to edit the complex block diagram for the input so i can write the data to a file

Don't edit the "complex" VI. Just read the data with this VI in a loop and use an expressVI (File IO>Write to Measurement File) to write data for now, to get you up and running quickly.

Should be fairly straightforward even for a newby.

Remember posting code of what you've done so far or a screen shot will get you a lot more help.

Neville.